OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Calls Used to Win GNCC Friction Championships?

Started by ScottE, February 29, 2024, 08:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottE

Does anyone know of any notable calls used to win past GNCC Friction Championships?

Bill

Quote from: ScottE on February 29, 2024, 08:31:05 AM
Does anyone know of any notable calls used to win past GNCC Friction Championships?

I have often wondered why calling contests don't publish equipment lists?  Frequently at shooting matches, entrants fill these out and they are posted along with match results.  The best ones contain very detailed information in addition to the competitor's name and placement, such as rifle, caliber, gunsmith, detailed load information, sight or scope used, even minutae like gun cleaning methods and products used.  When scanning match results, I zero right in on matches that give this information and more or less ignore those that don't.  Even if guys fib or fudge here and there (which they do) it's always instructive.

Can't help but think that turkey calling contest results would attract a lot more interest if they did something similar.   

compton30

Quote from: Bill on February 29, 2024, 10:16:27 AM

I have often wondered why calling contests don't publish equipment lists?  Frequently at shooting matches, entrants fill these out and they are posted along with match results.  The best ones contain very detailed information in addition to the competitor's name and placement, such as rifle, caliber, gunsmith, detailed load information, sight or scope used, even minutae like gun cleaning methods and products used.  When scanning match results, I zero right in on matches that give this information and more or less ignore those that don't.  Even if guys fib or fudge here and there (which they do) it's always instructive.

Can't help but think that turkey calling contest results would attract a lot more interest if they did something similar.   

This is a great idea!

Greg Massey

Most of the time calling contest calls are different from other calls that the builder will sell you.. Take Marlin calls which are used a lot in calling competitions are setup a little differently for each individual who competes in contest calling. I'm sure this is the same with other builders. The contest people are always looking for that particular sound that will give them the edge...  So in other words some hunting calls will be used sure they will, and calls that are just set up for contest calling will be used... IMO 

ScottE

Quote from: Bill on February 29, 2024, 10:16:27 AM

My thoughts exactly!

I was also thinking it would be more interesting if there was a "production division" that required competitors to use off the shelf options under a certain dollar amount. Or even limited the number of calls. A topic for another thread I suppose.

3bailey3

I saw a friction calling comp. at the Pearl Ms Bass Pro a few years back, a lot of the guys were using older Cody's

hpo

I can also imagine that due to preference, they are using several calls from different makers and therefore-may have concerns if they are sponsored by another call company.
Shoot'em in the Face!

bowbird87

I know Brad used Cadens DD Adam's call for his assembly yelp in the finals.He also uses a Watkins ironwood/butternut paddle. The Pressely guys were using some of Paul Platz pots on stage.

Goblen

I have wondered if the calls they use for indoor competition are built to sound good indoors.

Bill

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 29, 2024, 10:56:24 AM
Most of the time calling contest calls are different from other calls that the builder will sell you.. Take Marlin calls which are used a lot in calling competitions are setup a little differently for each individual who competes in contest calling. I'm sure this is the same with other builders. The contest people are always looking for that particular sound that will give them the edge...  So in other words some hunting calls will be used sure they will, and calls that are just set up for contest calling will be used... IMO

Greg makes a good point here.  It's the same deal with shooting (and other) competitions.  The relationship between hunting practicality and competitive success is almost always imperfect.  An average hunter's deer rifle probably doesn't much resemble what you'll find at a benchrest match and most bird hunters look for something a little colder blooded than the typical horseback field trial pointer, etc.

Regardless, in spite of the limitations, I think most folks who are call enthusiasts would find this information interesting and useful.