OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

“Hybrid” Jordans or just Jordans

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, February 29, 2024, 07:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I own a couple of these Jordans made of 1 piece of wood.  I see some made of 2 pieces of wood.  Are these "hybrid" Jordan's or just Jordans (or does it matter). Guess I'm stuck on cane yelpers being Jordan's, but I may be way wrong.  I "think" I saw both wood and cane calls in the NWTF Jordan competition.  Anyway, I see more of the wood Jordans around lately than I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

davisd9

Anything not made of cane and a wingbone is a Jordan style or hybrid. A true Jordan is made from cane and a wingbone. It is called a Jordan from the call made by Charles Jordan. The only two true Jordan's you typically see is from EZ or Mark Sharpe. A gentleman recently made a replica of the Charles Jordan call as he made it.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

blackfalcon

A true Jordan such as one attributed to Charles Jordan were made in a such manner of using 2 pieces of cane and a wingbone. Some variations on such calls as those developed by Simon Everest utilized a piece of Elder wood which has a pithy center and were even tuned in the woods with a pocket knife while listening to wild turkeys. Those were the Roanoke calls category I guess you would call those.
The more recent calls being made from one piece of wood or other material are not a true Jordan's but many call them Jordan's or Jordan style and were and have been accepted as such in the Jordan category in Nashville

blackfalcon

These are some calls that I made in the past and called Lil Tramp calls in what many might consider the Jordan Style category..They are for the most part one piece turned body and mouthpiece either hen bone or turned

EZ

WOW Dave, those are very nice!!!
You are correct in your explanation. The only thing I would add, is for the "Jordan Style" category in the Grand Nationals, the body must be two separate pieces glued together.

Meleagris gallopavo

I'm glad I asked.  Thanks!

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

crow

Greg Massey

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 29, 2024, 09:54:13 AM
I'm glad I asked.  Thanks!

X2 ... Great information and history shared

blackfalcon

Quote from: EZ on February 29, 2024, 09:20:17 AM
You are correct in your explanation. The only thing I would add, is for the "Jordan Style" category in the Grand Nationals, the body must be two separate pieces glued together.
Thanks EZ Rider..Lol..Love your wingbone! Didn't know they had to be 2 pieces...  So something like this would work..

tal

Thanks. A good read and some grand pics.

EZ

Quote from: blackfalcon on February 29, 2024, 11:05:26 AM
Thanks EZ Rider..Lol..Love your wingbone! Didn't know they had to be 2 pieces...  So something like this would work..

Oh yeah!!! That's really sharp!!!

turkey stew

Dave, thank you for the history and the awesome pics of your calls!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: blackfalcon on February 29, 2024, 08:12:01 AM
Some variations on such calls as those developed by Simon Everest utilized a piece of Elder wood which has a pithy center and were even tuned in the woods with a pocket knife while listening to wild turkeys. Those were the Roanoke calls category I guess you would call those.
Not trying to be argumentative but to my knowledge Roanoke basin calls were not developed as a variation of Charles Jordan's cane yelper. There are some Roanoke examples that date pretty closely in the late 1800s. I believe the two styles are unrelated and developed simultaneously with the Roanokes being geographically isolated to the river basin through Virginia and North Carolina.

Zobo

Quote from: EZ on February 29, 2024, 02:02:25 PM
Quote from: blackfalcon on February 29, 2024, 11:05:26 AM

Oh yeah!!! That's really sharp!!!

Not only sharp, but made out of an old fishing rod, too cool!!!
You always leave me in awe Mr. Blackfalcon, lol!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Ranman