turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Killer calls!

Started by bowbird87, February 27, 2024, 04:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowbird87

What call in vest has killed the most birds for you in the last few years? Mine would be Buster persimmon red slate or Dawkins plastic grey slate. Most responses probably Brad Roberts black line persimmon glass.

bornagain64

Toss up between a slate call my neighbor made me and a Hooks Executioner mouth call. Usually 1 of those 2 calls is the death of a Tom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Last few years Lonzo's black aluminum acrylic pot!

bowbird87

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 27, 2024, 04:18:23 PM
Last few years Lonzo's black aluminum acrylic pot!

Yep fine call mine is with me a lot during the season.

Yoder409

Gooserbat diaphragm.   Hands down.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

packmule

I really don't have a preference....

As long as it's a longbox....

And the call body is made of cedar, or butternut, or poplar.......

And has a cedar lid.....

;D

Ranger

Lewis Stowe Lignum Vitae and a Steve Mann Hybrid Hen of Walnut and Butternut. Few years back I had to make myself leave a Ricky Padgett Persimmon slate at the house, nothing else was getting kills. He'll even tell you I'd call him with a dead turkey and say I hated him and the call for what they were doing to other calls.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

callmakerman

2006 osage double slate made by Ralph Chandler.

hpo

Homemade trumpet yelper, Gobbler Down slate and mouth call.
Shoot'em in the Face!

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Twowithone

Dont know the name of the Pot call but its a Pennsylvania gray slate and it clucks and yelps and whines just great it,s the first call to go in my vest. :you_rock:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

Back in my early years it was a homemade snuff can and a piece of slate glued into a turtle shell with corncob cedar striker

Next was production calls ..  Lohman Thunder Dome slate, Quaker boy 2 face pot call, push pin, Lynch box and HS Strut box

Now present time: I carry the first ceramic call i ever bought and that's a Jim Shelley ceramic in a cherry pot. along with custom boxes, pot calls and trumpets ... That ceramic has called and killed a lot of gobblers over the years.

It sure has been an exciting ride through the years chasing these gobblers ...

I also have a draw full of production calls that didn't meet the grade... LOL...

So it has been a progression of calls ...throughout the years.  No way i could just say one ...

captpete

First call out is a Jimmy Schaffer black walnut pot with grey slate over grey slate and either a JLH frogwood, bullfrog, heavy cedar or heavy hickory striker.

WildTigerTrout

Primos "True" Double and "True" Triple.  I have used these mouth calls for a long time. 
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!