OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

CZ Drake

Started by rt2bowhunter, February 26, 2024, 07:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt2bowhunter

I finally got around to doing some testing today with the 20 ga Drake. First I changed my mind and put a red dot on it. And I bought a .555 and a .565 CNC choke tubes.

While I knew the barrel regulation was good. I tested it anyway. Here I shot some of my reloads 1 oz of copper coated 5 shot lead. I shot 2 shots out of the lower barrel .565 then 2 shots same shells using the top barrel  using the .555 choke. They printed a little high. But all I did was bore sight the red dot before shooting.

I debated adjusting the sight but decided to shoot some TSS at 40 yards first. This was at 20 yards but I just stepped it off.

I had some Herters 9 shot TSS 1 1/2 oz. This time I ranged the target at 40 yards.

Then. Shot some reloads also 9 shot but 1 5/8oz. It didn't do as good imo. Still ok and gave a little better spread some might like better.
Looks like she's shooting a little left and high just like it did using the 2 3/4" 5 shot at 20 yards. I made a slight adjustment in the sight. And ran out of time. But I feel sure the gun will flop a gobbler inside 40 yards. I need to shoot the reloads out of the .565 choke. I will do this the next pretty day.

I'd like to also add the Drake makes a fine squirrel, rabbit and pheasant gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrowningGuy88

Sharp looking rig and that pattern will work!

Ridge Rooster

Great looking gun! I have avoided an OU out of the concern about both barrels shooting to same POA. Looks like yours does.

Is that a Warne rib mount base?

Thanks

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

g8rvet

Still enjoying my Drake 28 as a wing shooter, but when I score with the 410, I think that one is up next. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

rt2bowhunter

Yes it's a Warne rib mount and so far I like it.
I bet that 28 Drake is sweet.
I shot my reloads with 1 5/8 oz 9 TSS out of the bottom barrel today using a CNC .565 tube. It did a lot better out of the more open choke.
I noticed after shooting several shots it's wanting to pattern a little left. So I adjust the sight just a touch right.

Regulation is very very close with this shotgun. This just might be my turkey gun from here on out. I can pop the red dot off in just a minute by just loosing the screws on one side of the mount. If I decide to take it off for upland hunting. I'm still playing with it but things are coming together:).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

You have the exact pattern that I am seeking.
Except I am shooting a Remington Model 870 20, it came to me with a Indian Creek 555. Insane tight.  Next I put Sumtoy 562 still a lot tighter than I was looking for. Very hot core. Beautiful pattern I know some people who would flip out for the pattern 
Carlson 568 Still to tight 400+ in the 10
Old Primos Tightwad 568 TIGHTWAD Is a TRUTH statement cause they didn't lie to us.
Insane Crazy out of my mind TIGHT I am losing my mind 
By the way I am shooting "rolled"
Lil Hammer 1  5/8 TSS 9s

I reckon the only way is UP
MORE MONEY MORE CHOKES

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

rt2bowhunter

Thanks

Its fun playing with shotguns expensive but fun.

After chewing on it for a day. I think i like Hals recipe for 2 5/8 oz of TSS and the comp n choke .565 tube. The recoil and report is lighter than the other shells and .555 choke. And the turkey is just as dead. I might just run the reloads
.565 and a IM choke in the other barrel with 2 3/4" reload 5 shot for those close inside 20 yard shots.

Probably could even take the red dot off. But its not hurting anything :).

BandedSpur

2&5/8 oz of TSS in a 20 gauge. That I would like to see but dang sure wouldn't want to shoot it. ;D

rt2bowhunter

LOL Sorry misprint 1 5/8 oz :)

walk2slow

rt2bowhunter, Nice looking cz you got there,  where did you get the sling mounts for it, the front one looks like it mounts around the bottom barrel, also is that a stock protector on there or shell holder, I have the drake in 28 gauge and like to put a sling on it but didnt know how till I seen yours. Thanks, walk2slow
Walk2Slow

Ranman

Quote from: runngun on February 27, 2024, 11:42:43 PM
You have the exact pattern that I am seeking.
Except I am shooting a Remington Model 870 20, it came to me with a Indian Creek 555. Insane tight.  Next I put Sumtoy 562 still a lot tighter than I was looking for. Very hot core. Beautiful pattern I know some people who would flip out for the pattern 
Carlson 568 Still to tight 400+ in the 10
Old Primos Tightwad 568 TIGHTWAD Is a TRUTH statement cause they didn't lie to us.
Insane Crazy out of my mind TIGHT I am losing my mind 
By the way I am shooting "rolled"
Lil Hammer 1  5/8 TSS 9s

I reckon the only way is UP
MORE MONEY MORE CHOKES

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I shoot the Carlson .575 in my 870 with the Lil Hammer 1 5/8 tss #9, great pattern. TSS likes more open chokes. You could even go .585..

rt2bowhunter

Quote from: walk2slow on March 09, 2024, 09:52:04 PM
rt2bowhunter, Nice looking cz you got there,  where did you get the sling mounts for it, the front one looks like it mounts around the bottom barrel, also is that a stock protector on there or shell holder, I have the drake in 28 gauge and like to put a sling on it but didnt know how till I seen yours. Thanks, walk2slow

https://grovtec.com/collections/barrel-band-swivel-sets

That's a Beartooth comb riser kit. When i put a red dot sight on a shotgun i like to keep a good cheek weld. That lets me build up the stock ( it comes with shims) with trimmed inserts. That gives me a custom stock i guess you could say :). Its a Bear to get on lol it really is. You can buy them with shell holder loops also.

I made a little change i switched the red dot mount to the Meadow creek nothing wrong with the Warne its a good mount. I just have a gun i might use it on instead of the drake.