turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

BOX CALL RECOMMENDATIONS

Started by Texan1894, February 26, 2024, 02:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texan1894

Hey guys, I'm looking for some feedback on box calls. I haven't messed around with one much just stuck to diaphragm calls. Always open to helpful advice and tips. I don't mind spending a little money on one but not looking to spend anything crazy.

Thanks!

bbcoach

SS calls (Shoemakers make Great Money boxes), Spring Creek Calls (Mike does a Great job as well) and David Halloran makes a Quality box.  These 3 come to mind and won't break the bank.  Check the Turkey Call Classifieds, there are some there now.  The ones I have mentioned all have their own sites.  You'll have to decide on your wood combos and once that is established contact them and they will play a few for you.  Plenty of Quality call makers on this site and you'll get plenty of recommendations.

Muzzy61

Can't go wrong with Spring Creek calls or SS calls.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Brillo

I am a poor caller.  Don't know others mentioned but I got a Spring Creek box and finally sound like a turkey.

Texan1894

Quote from: bbcoach on February 26, 2024, 03:36:45 PM
SS calls (Shoemakers make Great Money boxes), Spring Creek Calls (Mike does a Great job as well) and David Halloran makes a Quality box.  These 3 come to mind and won't break the bank.  Check the Turkey Call Classifieds, there are some there now.  The ones I have mentioned all have their own sites.  You'll have to decide on your wood combos and once that is established contact them and they will play a few for you.  Plenty of Quality call makers on this site and you'll get plenty of recommendations.

Thank you!

Yoder409

All good advice !!

Add two other GREAT box call builders and Old Gobbler Forums members..........

ferocious calls (Kip Feroce)

trb136 (Tim Bullock)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

wareagle22

Get a Scott Witter, SS, or David Halloran.   You won't go wrong with any of them. 

btomlin

I have boxes from Spring Creek and SS Calls.  Both were very reasonably priced for the sounds they produce.

Bowguy

Lots of good recommendations but I typically advise a longbox and I don't even carry a short box. A longbox does it better and more of it imo. SS makes some real nice ones, McKamey too. While you're at the longbox get a Yoder holster for it. Keeps it quiet and secure

Greg Massey

I will add, contact some of the ones listed and get them to play you a few sound files and see what you like in the tones and sounds your looking for in a call. Don't just buy a box to buy a box call... IMO...  A box you like is a box you will play and carry while hunting...

paboxcall

Quote from: Bowguy on February 28, 2024, 04:39:02 AM
Lots of good recommendations but I typically advise a longbox and I don't even carry a short box. A longbox does it better and more of it imo. SS makes some real nice ones, McKamey too. While you're at the longbox get a Yoder holster for it. Keeps it quiet and secure

Excellent advice.

Can't go wrong with a Ralph Snodgrass long box or mini boat, those won't break the bank.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer