turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Beginning of call making.

Started by Zach.Hannigan, February 25, 2024, 07:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zach.Hannigan

I recently bought my first trumpet call from Mr Irving Whitt. Turns out he only lives an hour from me. I'm so infatuated with this trumpet that I really like the idea of trying amd failing 100 times before I can make one of my own. I've been making my own wingbones from harvest and roadkill hens for a couple years so the call making has got my interest. I also want to turn some pot calls since those are easier to turn than trumpets while I'm learning to make a trumpet correctly. What wood lathe and tools would yall recommend? I don't mind spending the money to get started for nice equipment that's gonna do what I need cause I intend on getting good at it no matter how long it takes.

runngun

It's a awesome journey. I have been making calls, bowls, platters for quite a while now. But some days I only make firewood! Like you said it's very rewarding and FUN.
I use a Harbor Frieght Lathe. I actually have 2 of them. I would recommend that you get some of the carbon turning tools. The ones I use, you can change the tips. They have square, round and triangle shape. My favorites are "Easy turn". Get you a lot of wood and practice practice and more practice.
I don't use bowl gouges or spindle roughing gouges. I have turned a lot of wood species, a lot of FOG wood (found on ground).
Most of all be safe and have fun!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

caneman

I second o the carbide tipped tools. Rockler sells aholder thats cheap that will let yo sharpen them and get quite a bit longer use out of them.