turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 optic ready w holosun owner feedback

Started by GregN, February 25, 2024, 06:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregN

Hi Folks - just wondering if there are any owners that would like to share their experience with the newer Mossberg 500's that comes with the holosun microdot installed in 20 gauge.  I was wondering how they like the holosun?  I believe the dot is 6mm.  This gun checks a lot of the boxes for a turkey hunter, but i would love to hear from the folks that have them - pro's and cons.

Thanks,
Greg

Ridge Rooster

Buddy of mine bought one last year and we sighted it in at my house. Great gun and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I needed another 20.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Greg Massey

I don't care for the 6 dot, i rather have the 3 m ... 6 covers too much field of view .. IMO

wvnut3

Its a great combo, IMO. I just bought one in .410 and love it. I have reflex sights in 2moa ,4moa, 8moa .I have used my 8moa the most on my 20ga. weatherby. What i like most about the 8moa is at 40 yds it covers the head just about perfectly, so i know im at 40 or close to it. This new holosun is 6 and liking it so far love the optics ready cut out. Mounts nice and low, and of course its a mossberg 500 which speaks for itself.

GregN

Thanks for the feedback.  Good point about the dot size being a 6. I guess you have to like that, as it makes little sense to pay the up charge for the stock holosun if you are going to swap it out for something else.  While a size 6 doesn't seem too large, I know many prefer the smaller size dots (2-3) for shooting at longer distances (40 yards).  The other issue is you are somewhat limited to the Shield RMSc pattern, again, not a problem if you are happy with the stock site. I wonder why they didn't make it with a more universal type of base such as a weaver/picatinny?

I'm going to try to visit a local shop to get my hands one as I think this gun has a lot going for it.
Tx - Greg

wvnut3

Mine was optic ready with the cover plate ,I opted for the Holosun to take advantage of the small size and close to the gun. My other reflex sights are Burris FF2 and FF3. They have been great but im really digging the small size of this holosun especially on the .410. The only thing i didnt like about the Burris is  battery replacement. Even thought its on top, its a pain to get the cap back on.

wvnut3

If you want to take advantage of the optic ready cut out . Look at getting one without the sight. Then look at the Holosun HS507K X2. same size sight. but has a 2moa dot with acircle cross hair around , and it can be used as dot only or both .

Ol Yelper

I bought one last fall and like wvnut3 I put the Holosun 507K on it and that sight is great. And the gun shoots great with a Truloc .565 and Apex tss 9s. Nice setup.

GregN

Good to know...TruLock makes some quality chokes for sure.