turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli 20 Gauge help

Started by Dedduc, February 25, 2024, 04:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dedduc

I patterned my 20 gauge Benelli 24 inch barrel with a Rob Roberts 570, Rob Roberts 560 and an Indian Creek 562 with Federal 1.5 oz TSS 9s. All of the 20 yard patterns were fine but 40 yards things changed. Not happy really with any of them at 40. Any ideas if Apex 1 5/8  9s would help with getting pellet count up? Or am I looking at different chokes?

Dedduc

Can't seem to get pictures loaded

Kygobblergetter

I would definitely try apex. In the 20 gauge for me federal has never been near as good. Oddly enough my .410s prefer federal. With those chokes you should be able to get some awesome patterns from the apex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dedduc

Here is what I'm working with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CALLM2U

Are you counting those target rings as the 10 and 20?

Dedduc

I added them both up and just never wrote down the total. 

Tom007

I like your Rob Roberts 570. His chokes are real good. I use his Final Strut and Raptor in my 12 gauge Turkey guns. Get good results with a lot of different ammo......you might want to give Long Beard 6's a try.....
"Solo hunter"

Dedduc

mullet dredge

Do yourself a favor and ditch the turkey head splatter targets and buy a roll of brown paper from the painting section at the hardware store to use for patterning. It is impossible to tell anything about what your whole pattern is doing at range with those tiny targets

bwhana

Quote from: mullet dredge on February 26, 2024, 09:44:34 AM
Do yourself a favor and ditch the turkey head splatter targets and buy a roll of brown paper from the painting section at the hardware store to use for patterning. It is impossible to tell anything about what your whole pattern is doing at range with those tiny targets
^^This is a must. Be sure to get the thinner paper for around $16/roll. They make one that is thicker and it is superb, but it costs double or more for about 1/2 the total length - made that mistake before.

Another thing I would advise is not to shoot if the wind is more than 5 mph (which seems to be impossible here lately), it will affect your patterns in unpredictable ways and not give you the best patterns to judge with and waste loads.

PineyRooster

You will be satisfied with the apex. Having patterned both in the past myself it's definitely a night and day difference between their loads and federal.

Gobbler428

I shoot the Apex TSS #9's in my SBE 3 20 ga with a RR 560 choke and they do great at 40yds, Suggest you try them with the 560.

PharmHunter

I'd try either the Apex or Rogue through your .570

ragin-cajun

Sound advice from gentleman above.... get brown paper + specific counts in 10 and 20 inch circles and know exactly what your gun is doing at 40. throw the turkey head targets away. Federal turkey ammo is not top tier if you want the best.

generally IMO if you want a tighter pattern or 350+ in 10 circle: indian creek/RR 570 w APEX 9s.

if you want a more forgiving pattern (290/310 in 10 in circle) try a Trulock 575 or 585 with apex 9s

id be shocked if you're not pleasantly surprised w APEX. post ur patterns....
Wild Turkey

ragin-cajun

it can be a costly process but well worth it when u find that goldilocks combo: bwhana is right, don't shoot in the wind and run a few patches btw shots.
Wild Turkey