turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

21” barrel benelli m2?

Started by slave601, February 24, 2024, 05:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

I bought a 21" barrel benelli m2 last summer. I've ordered a few different boxes of ammo to test out with an Indian creek .665 in it. Waiting on the gun to come back from a dip job. Question is has anyone ever or does own a 21" barrel m2? I've never had a turkey gun with a barrel that short
"thinnin the flock"

Ridge Rooster

Got 2 of them and a Supernova I had shortened to 20". Also have 3 835's with 20". The 665 should work great for 3" TSS.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

retrieverman

I've been shooting a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 21" barrel since 1995, and I love it.

slave601

Thinking maybe going a tighter constriction than the Indian creek .665 I've tried several different loads out of it and nothing seems to pattern that great. Burgess creek straight 9s 2.25 oz was the best out of many loads but it wasn't great to be honest. I have heard shorter barrel tighter constriction several times. May try a .660 jebs
"thinnin the flock"

runngun

Slave601 have you cleaned your barrel? That gun should hot as a firecracker. In my experience heavy loads, especially TSS like a more open choke. I use Carburetor cleaner and scrub the heck out of it. I also like to shoot the biggest piece of paper/cardboard that I am able to get, cause I want to see my entire pattern. I have one of these, but it is a 12. I shot the Apex 2 ounce load and it was way too tight for me at 40. I want to saw the one that I shoot is 2 3/4. Not home at the moment to check. And now I load my own.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

WV Ridge Reaper

This is just a used shot trap load so anything from 8s to 10s in this just mixed..Its coming out a 12 it don't matter if its stacked..not to me anyway...I'm not separating shot for a 12.....21 inch barrel..I can do 200 with LB 6s and the same gun/choke combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slave601

Quote from: runngun on February 28, 2024, 06:58:31 PM
Slave601 have you cleaned your barrel? That gun should hot as a firecracker. In my experience heavy loads, especially TSS like a more open choke. I use Carburetor cleaner and scrub the heck out of it. I also like to shoot the biggest piece of paper/cardboard that I am able to get, cause I want to see my entire pattern. I have one of these, but it is a 12. I shot the Apex 2 ounce load and it was way too tight for me at 40. I want to saw the one that I shoot is 2 3/4. Not home at the moment to check. And now I load my own.

I've cleaned the barrel with a scrubber and barrel cleaner and after each shot I run a bore snake through it. I've tried 6 different loads now and the most I got was 308 in a 10" circle at 40 yds. My 20 gauge shoots better than that with 9s. I'm going to try a different choke tomorrow and see how it goes. I have a ton a of turkey guns and I've never had one pattern this poorly. Tomorrow we will see I guess
"thinnin the flock"

runngun

I am with you, that is not a good pattern. The worst shotgun I have EVER personally seen was a Brand new Remington Model 1187 12 gauge. Off a solid rest and 2 shooters. IT WOULD NOT HIT A FULL SIZE REFRIGERATOR BOX AT 40 YARDS. I don't think that we ever found a pellet hole in the box until we moved closer. Buddy sent it off and had the barrel straightened and a pile of other work done to it.
I sure hope you are able to figure it out and I am sure you will!!! It's got me scratching my head to. I have a gun that I am trying to go DOWN in the 10 for a more even 20.I have tried 4 chokes so far and it is still to tight. 555 through 568

slave601

Local store had nitros 9s you can buy as many as you want. Bought 2 of them and patterned them today. 448 and 455 in the 10 at 40yds. I believe I'll stick with that! Stuck with the Indian creek .665
"thinnin the flock"

runngun

Awesome, that's a great pattern!!! I am glad that you found what you are looking for. It always feels good, that is why we don't give up!

slave601

Quote from: runngun on March 01, 2024, 11:55:42 AM
Awesome, that's a great pattern!!! I am glad that you found what you are looking for. It always feels good, that is why we don't give up!

That's right!!!!
"thinnin the flock"

RiverRoost

I have the same gun on order, should be here Wednesday, I have two boxes of apex 3" 9's. Any starting points on chokes with those shells?

runngun

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 04, 2024, 06:04:55 PM
I have the same gun on order, should be here Wednesday, I have two boxes of apex 3" 9's. Any starting points on chokes with those shells?
The weight of the loads important to what choke tube in my opinion. Heavy loads more open choke, can blow your pattern.
If you want tight 655-66
More open pattern I believe that I would have to get 670-675.

Have a good one and May God bless y'all

slave601

I kept the Indian creek .665 in mine when nitro 2 5/16s oz load of 9s. I put 464 in a 10" circle at 40l yds end of barrel to target with a rangefinder. I felt that was good enough. That loads velocity is 1,230 fps
"thinnin the flock"

RiverRoost

Quote from: slave601 on March 05, 2024, 12:01:50 AM
I kept the Indian creek .665 in mine when nitro 2 5/16s oz load of 9s. I put 464 in a 10" circle at 40l yds end of barrel to target with a rangefinder. I felt that was good enough. That loads velocity is 1,230 fps

Awesome, I'm gonna try to find an IC and see how the apex 2 1/4 oz work to start