News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heavy TSS 20 Gauge Loads and Possible Damage To Semi-Autos

Started by Bigfootwolff, February 24, 2024, 12:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill

Quote from: Mossyguy on March 13, 2024, 08:54:02 AM
I currently shoot TSS not because you can shoot at longer distances. I've used them since 2016 I believe and I've yet to shoot a bird past 30 yards.  I like them because of the pattern density.

I shoot a Retay and after reading this I may do some research next year and switch to more "traditional" loads. If anyone has any suggestions on where to start I'm all ears.

I wouldn't worry as much with your Retay or other inertia guns. The internal wear wouldn't be as bad as an over gassed piston on a gas gun. I also don't shoot 2oz loads out of a 20ga. If I need more than 1-5/8oz I would just use a 12ga.

cassga

So i have a Weatherby SA08 20 gauge that i bought and set up as a primary turkey gun about 8 years ago. I started with Fed Heavyweight #7's, but since switching to factory 1-5/8oz TSS loads, I have noticed some cycling issues. Rarely have I needed a follow up shot with it, so maybe thats why I havent noticed it as much. According to Weatherby, they recommend 1300 fps as a min for cycling, which most turkey loads are advertised around 1200 fps. I was considering handloads that are tailored more to the gun, i.e. reduced payload/increased velocity to see what improvements are made. I am running the "heavy" piston and just did a major breakdown and cleaning to see what improvements, if any, are made to cycling.

Based on what I am reading here, regardless of the cycling issues, the payload could be causing damage to the internals?

SumToy

Folks just go buy a cheap gun.   Tss will shoot in it just as good as a High $$$$ gun.    Then when it brakes throw it away and buy another  cheap one.   Keep your high end ones to wing shoot and so on. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

JohnD.

Seems like this subject came up a couple of years ago. As it has already been alluded to, 20 gauge guns were designed around 1 1/4 oz max payload. I bought a Tristar Viper 20 gauge for my daughter a couple of years ago and have been very pleased. The reloading block has failed on some of these guns by people using 1 1/2 oz or more loads from what I have read. Randy Wakeman is the resident shotgun guru over on SGW. He says Armsan, the maker of Tristar and others do not test anything over 1 1/4 oz. I don't always agree with Randy but he seems to know what he's talking about and not afraid to share his opinion. Seems that shotguns can suffer metal fatigue by overloading them and you never know when one will let go. I won't be shooting anything heavier than the recommended load in the Tristar.

John