OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 SuperMag

Started by b wilt, February 24, 2024, 08:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b wilt

I set my my old SuperMag up with a Holosun for this season after taking a break thanks to my son's nagging to do the 20 gauge TSS thing for a couple of seasons.  So my question is who all still uses a SuperMag or a 835 Ultimag / Super Nova for their turkey hunting with lead shot?

hoythunter

I mostly use a 20ga now but will occasionally still take out my SuperMag. Although it is heavier I just like it too much and have too many good memories with it to retire it. And it shoots great with longbeards 3" #5's

captpete

I'm still shooting my SPM 870 with Longbeard 5's. I won't be hunting this spring because of having shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago. Next year I want to move to a 20ga. semi-auto just to reduce the recoil on my shoulder. I have 12-13 boxes of the Federal Heavyweights and will be using/sharing them with the wife. This was the 3rd surgery on this shoulder...2nd in less than 2 years. 

Gman

Been using my 870 Super Mag, thumbhole stock with 3" lead & every bird that I aimed at was harvested. Never have shot a 3.5" shell out of it. But this coming spring I believe that I'll being carrying my 20 gauge Monte because it weighs like 2.5 lbs less.

RED NECK

Yes, I still prefer carrying one of my many big 12's....here is one of my favorites ,the 23" 870 super mag turkey shurshot......I shoot Longbeard 5's & 6's in 3.5" from my 12's.......
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

YoungGobbler

I shoot a Expressmag with 28 inch barrel... Will shoot 3inch no 4 lead shot till i run out of them, then I'll buy some more   ;D

bbcoach

I have an 835, that is my primary gun.  I shoot the old Hevi 13 7's in 3 1/2" with a .670 Pure Gold choke.  I just can't retire her.  She will put up 300 plus and has NEVER let me down.  I have plenty of 7's for my lifetime so why change. 

b wilt

Mine is a 2003'ish Express SuperMag with a 23 inch barrel and the Skyline Excel Full Camo, and it likes the Factory .665 SuperFull choke.

Happy

I still use my 835 occasionally. I am still shooting hevi shot #6' s or longbeard #5 shot in it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RED NECK

I bought a 835 turkey tactical in 2021, I may have used it on 3-4 hunts and I cant even remember If I have hunted with it last two seasons but i do plan on using it this year, I have a bushnell trs 25 red dot on it, It shoots awesome patterns with any of the 3 chokes I have but I will be shooting the ssx choke with longbeard 3.5" #4's, It really likes any of the long beard shells in 3.5".....ya, It kicks like a mule too. I have lots of options, I still prefer 12's.....I can't say why, I just do.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

soILstrutter

Absolutely love my supermag. 3.5" #5 Longbeards with the Carlsons LB choke are deadly at ranges I don't care to shoot at. I see no reason to even consider switching to TSS unless I were to opt for a 20 gauge in the future. That being said, I don't mind carrying the Supermag with a sling through the woods. It is a really good shooting gun that has been as reliable as they come. Have a FF3 and a Sumtoy protector mount on it that makes it, to me, the perfect 12 gauge turkey gun.

Borsy

I did the 20 gauge TSS #9 combo the past few years and it's great. Right before last spring I picked up one of those new optic ready 835s in Greenleaf. Killed two birds with it and Longbeard #6s last season. Nothing wrong with the big 12 despite all the new shot and shell technology!

Borsy

Might as well share a pic of her! Here's the 835 in Greenleaf. I think it was pretty cool of Mossberg to come out with a series of optic ready turkey guns in this classic camo pattern.

b wilt

Longshanks

Still hunting with the Supermag. 26" bbl polished and using the Rem SF .665 for XX lead 5's and the Ventilator .655 for XX lead 6's. Double beads. Saw a guy shoot 3 times to kill a turkey the other day. Missed twice and killed him on the 3rd shot at 35yds. Shot $45 worth of TSS.  Camera man laughed and said are you done? Makes one sctratch their head and think about it for sure.

Rem SF .665/ Win XX HV 3/5's. 110 in a 10 @ 40

Ventilator .655/ Win XX 3/6's.  145-160 in a 10 @ 40.