OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Picatinny mount or rail mount reflex

Started by Swampfoxforeman, February 21, 2024, 03:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampfoxforeman

Just picked up a new turkey gun, and a Holosun 507c. The gun does come with a picatinny rail. Question is should I just use a meadow creek rib mount or the picatinny rail? If the picatinny rail what brand mount for the picatinny rail?

Ranman

I like the Sumtoy low profile receiver mount. But have never tried a rail mount.. others seem to like the rail mount.

BandedSpur

I'd go with the lowest profile mount you can find so that you can get a good cheek weld without having to build the comb up. Most pic rails I have seen are way too high to suit me. I used a Burris 336 mount on my 1187. They are super low profile. Sumtoy builds a good one too.

SumToy

Take the pic rail off replace with a mount if factory holes.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

rt2bowhunter

Maybe this might be useful and goes beyond your question.
Here are pretty much my turkey guns that I might carry this spring.

Let's start at the top. It's an Encore 45/410 15" pistol that I use 410 tss in for gobblers. Notice it's wearing a tube type red dot. I tried a reflex but had a very hard time picking up the dot. The tube of the sight gave my eye guidance so now I can find the dot very fast.

The next two goes to your question the Encore even has a holosun sight. Both of these are reflex sights I have no trouble finding the dot with these. Because I have a stock and cheek weld. It's always right there in front of my eye. As to the difference and I just tested both back to back. I really don't have a favourite. To my eye there's just not that much difference.

The last or bottom gun doesn't have a red dot. And this might change :). But with 2 barrels and 2 chokes using an open choke for close work and a tight choke with tss for longer shots I don't feel I need one. But might want one.

The gauges from top to bottom 410, 2 12's and a 20 ga.

Something I want to touch on. And this is important imo. You don't want no floating head using a red dot. You need to keep that cheek weld. The red dot it much taller than a bead. You will notice I used a beartooth 2.0 comb shim kit. To raise my eye up so it's looking through the red dot. Once you learn to shoot the red dot and trust it's going to show you your pattern. And stop shooting the gun. I think you will like the red dot more the more you use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampfoxforeman

Thank y'all. This isn't my first turkey gun nor the first one with a red dot. I have had good amount of experience with red dots through my deployments. I'm not sure which way is the best way to go as far as on the rail vs the pic rail when it comes to turkey.

Ranman

Not sure there is a wrong answer. It all boils down to personal preference. The good thing is, if you decide you don't like something, change it...

lunghit

I like the rib mounts and have Meadow Creek's on 2 guns. My Winchester SX4 is drilled and tapped but I still use the Meadow Creek with the FF3. Like Ranman said it's all personal preference.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"