OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Did you keep a count of Long Beards taken?

Started by ShootingABN!, February 20, 2024, 09:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkrem870

My goal was to kill 100 by 30 years old. Once I did that I haven't kept up with it anymore and definitely haven't slowed down. Just hope to tangle with one more ...... every chance I get.

Tom007

Most important to me is my Turkey log book. A scribble of memories, how, where, when, weather. This is information that brings back the memories, I go back to it often.
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

I remember a conversation I had with my son when he was young about deer hunting and it applies with turkeys or anything you hunt. He didn't understand it at the time because for him at the time in his life it was about killing or getting something each and every-time he went afield.
I told him, " Son it isn't always about killing or harvesting an animal but more about being out in the woods enjoying what nature provides us. If you see a deer or a turkey that's a treat, if you happen to harvest one that's a bonus. Enjoy and be thankful!
He understands now that he got older!
Why keep a count, who are you impressing but yourself?

Turkeybutt

Quote from: Tom007 on February 21, 2024, 04:02:51 AM
Most important to me is my Turkey log book. A scribble of memories, how, where, when, weather. This is information that brings back the memories, I go back to it often.
Best thing you can do Tom. That and the people you might have been with and any dumb thing that happened on the hunt or in the camp and who did it. That way you can bring it up years later and laugh about it.

deerhunt1988

Yup, sure do. I keep a spreadsheet with every bird, the state and parcel of land I killed him on, distance, beard length/spurs/weight, and brief 1 liner on the hunt. I can tell you how many birds i've killed in each state, how many multiple bearders I've killed, how many of each subspecies, how many in each national forest, etc. But I won't tell you. I do it for myself and noone else.

Jfowler82

When I started turkey hunting you kept it secret ! If someone asked depending on who it was you might tell them you killed one that morning or may not . Only your true friends and family got to see the beards and spurs you collected . I wouldn't mind it being that way again but I know I'm dreaming.

BBR12

Yes. I've kept an old note book for 20+ yrs. As many have said it's for me and it's not for the numbers.  I can open it up and recall birds I would have forgotten about by now. I use one line on the paper for each bird. Date Time beard spurs weight short description of where. I do this not only for my birds but all birds I have a part in the hunt. I used to keep a hunt journal way back when. I still love picking them up and reliving a hunt I wouldn't remember otherwise. I wish I had kept doing that consistently.

Tom007

Quote from: Turkeybutt on February 21, 2024, 04:15:19 AM
Best thing you can do Tom. That and the people you might have been with and any dumb thing that happened on the hunt or in the camp and who did it. That way you can bring it up years later and laugh about it.

Amen my friend...
"Solo hunter"

Gooserbat

I wish I had kept a hunting journal.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

eggshell

The cool thing I see being revealed in this thread is most of us who are regular posters are older veteran hunters and are in the senior stages of being a sportsman. If this crowd was younger I suspect there would be a lot of numbers being posted. I would not be surprised if many of the youtubers could give you numbers right off the bat. As we mature in this sport we learn numbers are only relative to opportunity. If you travel a lot and have a lot of hunt time, your numbers will be better. For me it was a form of validation when I was younger and it kind of drove me. I have even confessed in some of my post that my family suffered from my obsession, missed birthdays and school events and so forth. I would give up every turkey to have some of that quality time back. For me, I had an epiphany one day and realized I had made my turkey hunting prowess an idol in my life. Yes this came after I became a Christian and a lot of things changed. I once had almost an entire wall in our basement covered with fans, spurs and beards. On the day I spoke of I bagged it all up and set it out for the garbage truck. My wife actually bet I would go get it before the truck came, but I didn't.

Do I count, not deliberately.  I have kept a photo album and each picture has bird stats on the back. I do enjoy looking through it and reminiscing, just like all you with journals. I think it's ok to count if you want, especially when your younger. Just don't be a jerk and braggart about it. Someone asked me once how many I have killed and my answer was this, "I don't keep a count and haven't for many years, if your still counting you ain't killed enough. You'll know when that day comes." That is still my answer. I hunt hard as I can stand anymore, but I am perfectly fine walking away from a gobbler and not putting one more notch in my turkey gun. A rare wildflower found will make my day. 

Howie g

I had to stop counting after I ran out of fingers and toes .

Tom007

Truth be said, I wish I could knock em down, take a few photo's, give him some smelling salt and watch him return back to his roost for another hunter to experience him. That would be wonderful....
"Solo hunter"

Meleagris gallopavo

I keep up with it during each season, that's about it.  I have no idea how many I've killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

bbcoach

Nope.  Numbers shouldn't be why we do this; it should be about the experiences we have and the friends we do it with.  Experiences, travels and friends will make memories, numbers are just that numbers.

I took an 81 year old gentleman out last April.  He had never killed a turkey in his lifetime.  I called for him and had 3 different birds working to our location.  I looked at him and told him, "I don't know which bird is going to get here first but be perfectly still."  Within 5 minutes, he had his first bird down at 20 yards.  Numbers don't mean a thing, when you have these MEMORIES!

joey46

I'm big on the old photo albums also but as for actual numbers it would only be a guess.  Lucky to have chased them for so long.  Remember I've been around during the "glory days" when two bird limits were the norm and I often took a camper to multiple states during many a spring.   Been quite a ride.  Good luck to all this season.