OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Did you keep a count of Long Beards taken?

Started by ShootingABN!, February 20, 2024, 09:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

So for those that have been at this obsession for a while.  Did you keep a count of how many birds you have harvested?

Happy

I don't. It isn't going to change who I am, and quite frankly, the amount of turkeys I kill is pretty low on my list of things I would like to be remembered by. I know I love hunting them and am thankful for every moment I get in the spring, behind the gun, or helping someone else.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BrowningGuy88

I lost count a long time ago. It's a lot, but I honestly don't know how many.

It just simply isn't important to me anymore. I rarely limit out anymore even when I have ample opportunity.

sasquatch1

Use to, haven't in a while and now I don't know what my total is

I'm also weird enough I stopped collecting beards/spurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spitten and drummen

If I never kill another one I can honestly say I have killed my fair share.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Yoder409

Never did as I went along.

Couple years ago I sat down and tried to remember, at least, where each spring bird I have shot was taken.  But I was trying to recount for 40-some years off the top of my head.  So I don't know how many I may have missed/forgotten. 

Doesn't matter anyways.  I'm about as anti a "numbers guy" as you'll meet.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 20, 2024, 09:52:42 PM
If I never kill another one I can honestly say I have killed my fair share.

You -n- me BOTH, brother !!!!

But I still can't wait for the NEXT one.    :happy0064:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Remington700

I've never really kept up with it. I know it's been more than I remember. I usually give the fans to my father who puts them up in a wall in his shop. I walked in back in the summer and was shocked at the number of fans. I don't remember killing that many over the years. Same goes for deer as well. When you've hunted for 30 years plus, that equals a lot of game.

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on February 20, 2024, 09:38:15 PM
........ the amount of turkeys I kill is pretty low on my list of things I would like to be remembered by. I know I love hunting them and am thankful for every moment I get in the spring, behind the gun, or helping someone else.

I read this.   Then I re-read this.........like........5 times.

This is, in its simplicity, one of the single, most perfectly worded, SPOT-ON statements about turkey hunting I've ever read.

If EVERYONE who took to the turkey woods lived by THIS simple credo.......... What a wonderful turkey huntin' world this would be !!!!!!!!! 

I salute you, Mr. Happy.
PA elitist since 1979

backforty

Was just trying to think of that the other day and realized it doesn't matter. Funny thing is I can remember all the misses and the birds that beat up on me without a problem.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Dougas

They are are all accounted for in a photo album and are also on the wall, tables or floor in some form of display. I have only been hunting turkeys since 2012, so I don't have as many as some, which makes it easier to remember them..

Greg Massey

No not really. I just enjoy chasing them with the anticipation of being successful. Most of the time the gobblers have other plans and don't always cooperate but regardless calling and chasing is fun and exciting. Nothing better than those early spring mornings and hearing turkeys on the roost. Hopefully after that you will have a gobbler flopping on the ground.  What an adrenaline rush even for us older hunters.

Gooserbat

129.  I don't know why I keep counting but I do. Maybe it's for me , or maybe it's for the turkeys.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

I knew it for a time, but I have lost count.  I guess that makes my answer, not enough.   ;D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

WiLL B

I counted em, photographed em, remembered em, and honor em. I killed em in a lot of states for a lot of years. It doesn't mean anything to anybody else so I don't show and tell. I have a lot more seasons behind me than in front but maybe I'll be able to sit on the porch and reminisce when I can no longer chase em. I'll still be after em this spring so I must not be done.