News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you think about this idea

Started by rt2bowhunter, February 20, 2024, 09:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt2bowhunter

Thanks
If I decide to go with my original plan of having a mount that's easy to take off and put back on well easier. I think I'll go with this Warn rib mount. It's a compression type mount that uses 3 screws on each side. I should be able to just loosen one side or take it off leaving the other side alone. Giving me a mount that I can leave the red dot on and return it very close to the same spot if not the same spot.

Always checking poi afterwards:).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

The issue with saddle mounts is that there is an extreme potential to pinch your action. You're using holes designed for pins to place screws and then tighten those screws to fix the mount to the action. Over tighten much at all and you can cause some damage fast. There's not a great recommendation for what you're trying to do. It's kind of why so many of us have dedicated turkey guns in that they just require things other shotgun pursuits do not. If it were me I'd either, a) shoot the bead (assuming POA and POI match), b) keep running and removing your meadow creek and red dot, c) buy a separate barrel for the nova and run it for everything else, d) buy a dedicated turkey gun.

rt2bowhunter

I just like trying new things. I have a bunch of shotguns they all will kill a turkey:).

This is my main Turkey gun.
Then there's this one :)

I ended up not liking the sight on the encore 12 ga tried a reflex

But have went back to the sight in the first pic. Also didn't like the reflex on the 410 pistol and put a tube type red dot on it. And changed the grip and dipped it myself with a eBay kit.

Half the fun is playing with the guns. Killing gobblers just amounts to learning to call and set still.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Farmboy27

Many years ago I jumped on the optics bandwagon for turkey guns. I had an original benelli nova and put a red dot on it with a saddle mount. All I did was turn an already somewhat heavy and bulky shotgun into a heavier and bulkier shotgun!  It came off after one season. My personal advice if you're dead serious about putting an optic on your turkey gun is to buy one that is already drilled and tapped. You can buy a perfectly good pump gun for a reasonable price that is optic ready and set it up as a dedicated turkey gun. Then you still have your nova for everything else

rt2bowhunter

Yeah I agree I have pretty much decided on having dedicated shotguns. With the ability to crossover if needed. I'm going with a red dot on my main new Turkey gun.

I dressed up that light looking place on the cheek riser I made. It's a Mossberg 930. The supernova is going to be my waterfowl no red dot. The Drake 20 ga will be my upland/rabbit/squirrel gun. If I need to or just want to use the nova or Drake for gobblers I can. Or I can use the 930 for what ever :).

Super Fox

Interesting concepts for newer shotguns.
Unfortunately, placing any of the newer tech sights on older double guns would detract from their inherent collector value.

My last gobbler KIA was with a 1924 LC Smith Long Range double. A newer backup gun would be a 1925 Parker.
It helps when some turkeys want to slip up or sneak in and examine both the stock burl walnut or the engraving.