OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you think about this idea

Started by rt2bowhunter, February 20, 2024, 09:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt2bowhunter

I have a Benelli Supernova that is not drilled and tapped for a scope/red dot mount. I have a meadow creek mount and like it but it's not the easiest to take off and put back on. The SN is going to be a Turkey,Duck and Goose gun i even took it pheasant hunting the other day.

I was just thinking what if i bought a saddle mount for the receiver. Mounted a red dot on it then on the gun sighted it in with my turkey loads. Then after turkey season just take it off and leave the red dot on it. Use it for other seasons then pop it back on for turkey season. Shoot it with some 2 3/4 inch reloads then a turkey load fine tune if needed and use it for turkey season again.

Seems pretty easy and simple at least in my mind LOl. What do you guys think.

Greg Massey

If this is what you want to do, I would say do it .... like you said, just recheck your red dot again before turkey season.

rt2bowhunter

Looks like finding a good saddle mount might be a job if they even make one.

Tom007

I would always recheck POI whenever removing optic from gun. Just my rule of thumb. This way your confident in the moment of truth......
"Solo hunter"

eggshell

A buddy of mine uses a saddle mount like your plan. Just need to sight in every change. The saddle adds a lot of weight to his gun. I still just shoot a double bead, old fashioned I guess. I personally do not like scopes. I often sit right close to my buddy that swears by his scope. I bet I have killed no less than a dozen birds that he couldn't get in a scope long enough to shoot. They were either on the move and or spooked. I do my best not to take poor shots, but you can follow a bird with a beaded gun and if he stops for a second he's yours. My buddy is an old rifle shooter and takes way too long to center his cross hairs.

rt2bowhunter

Yeah not a fan of scopes or tube type red dots on my shotguns. If they work for you super. Now a reflex red dot are different. I can see everything with both eyes open using one of those.

I remembered a different red dot mount i bought i think might work better than the saddle mount and be as easy to remove and replace. And not add much weight.   

Greg Massey

Depending on what your eyes see in a red dot makes all the difference in what you use for a sight.. Older eyes sometimes need a little help / scope . Some people have astigmatism and see a starburst with red dots. Nothing wrong with a bead only.. But I will say, I've killed turkeys with a scope on my shotgun that I don't think I could have with just a bead sight on the gun. It all depends on what works the best for you and what you have the most confidence in using. IMO

rt2bowhunter

I agree for sure use what you want or need for a sight. I didn't intend on downing anyones choices for whatever reason.

captpete

I tried a saddle mount on my 870. It worked and was easy to remove. When putting it on, there was a fine line when tighten the screws to hold it(metal or plastic version) on the gun. To tight, the action was stiff and hard to pump. To loose and the saddle could easily be moved/shifted throwing off the sight. On mine it was matter of 1/4 to 1/2 a turn on one or both screws of being to tight/loose. To me it made the gun feel bulky. Once the saddle was on, it only took a couple of shots to verify the site was still on and usually didn't need much adjusting. If you decide to go with a saddle get one that is made of metal. The 1st one I tried was plastic and you could flex the rail just by pressing on it with your thumb.

Good luck in your decision.

SumToy

Drill and Tap the gun.   Problem fixed.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Tom007

The meadow creek mount on the vent rib with a Red Dot is a real viable option for you. Mounted a bit more forward actually aids in looking all around as the bird approaches keeping your head on the barrel. You could easily remove and replace it checking zero of course. It will be close, if not on. Here's my Sweet sixteen with the Meadow Creek and a Fast Fire Red Dot.....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: SumToy on February 22, 2024, 08:41:53 AM
Drill and Tap the gun.   Problem fixed.

I agree with William on this, and he's the best there is if you go this route. Some of my guns are indeed drilled and tapped, there are just a few that I did not want to change, thus the Meadow Creek mount is a great option there, especially with Red Dots.......
"Solo hunter"

rt2bowhunter

Well I looked for a saddle mount and could only find one with questionable reviews. That would fit the supernova. I have read drilling and tapping the receiver is tricky. And would involve cost plus shipping probably both ways. So I put the meadow creek back on it. And I think I'm going to leave it on and let waterfowl hunting prove to me it won't work.

I have been working on this shotgun and testing different things. I shortened the LOP without cutting or modifying the stock. I like to never come up with that idea lol. I have the comb raised so I'm looking through the sight when shouldered with good cheek weld.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"