OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 GA Pattern Advice

Started by Tommy Strutsalot, February 20, 2024, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Strutsalot

Below you'll see two pictures from patterns measured by laser to be at 30 and 40 yds.  This is Apex #9 (Apex Turkey 1 5/8 oz) out of a Weatherby Element Turkey with an Indian Creek .570.  You'll observe, as I have, that my POI is several inches low and possibly even slightly to the right of my POA at both distances (POA is center of red waddle). Obviously the issue is exacerbated at the longer distance. 

I would be comfortable with the pattern if I could get the POI centered.  I recognize I could just use the Kentucky windage method but I'm a very reflexive shooter and for what it's worth just prefer my shotguns to shoot where I point them.  Would shimming the stock to raise/decrease the drop at comb bring this up a little?  I will test some different ammo as well.

Appreciate all input but, respectfully, I don't want to add a red dot or other optic, I just prefer shooting shotguns at turkeys the way I shoot them at everything else - with a bead.  Thanks for any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gman

What about a set of Williams Fire Sights that clamp onto the ventilated rib? You will be able to adjust them to match your "point of impact"

Tommy Strutsalot

Quote from: Gman on February 20, 2024, 05:56:56 PM
What about a set of Williams Fire Sights that clamp onto the ventilated rib? You will be able to adjust them to match your "point of impact"

I've not heard of those but will certainly check them out.  Thanks for the input, could be my best option. Will prob try a different load or two and check them out if the problem persists.  Do you have any experience with stock shims by chance?

krm944

I have never used shims.

I like the TruGlo Magnum Gobble Dot rifle sights. They mount to the vent rib and are fully adjustable

Tommy Strutsalot

Quote from: krm944 on February 20, 2024, 06:38:34 PM
I have never used shims.

I like the TruGlo Magnum Gobble Dot rifle sights. They mount to the vent rib and are fully adjustable

Excellent thank you. Will check it out.

Trkmaster88

Shims don't change impact if you are shooting using the same barrel/rib/bead sight plane.

Tommy Strutsalot

Quote from: Trkmaster88 on February 20, 2024, 06:53:07 PM
Shims don't change impact if you are shooting using the same barrel/rib/bead sight plane.

Great thanks for answering that question.

WV Ridge Reaper

Some say shims work some say they dont..IMO no thats not gonna change the problem

Tru glo gobbler dot a far better opinion then the williams site..just make sure you measure you vent vib and buy the right ones.

Changing the load would be a 50/50

Changing the choke is whats will move that pattern..no with that being said IC is not a bad choke..you may try a sumtoy and it may put you dead on 5 inches left..you just never know.

I just ordered this same gun and will look forward to your out come..I have loaded and been apart of the pattern sessions on 4 out of 5 of these Weatherby elements and your is the worst one i have seen...so there is hope,i wish you well and keep us posted

Tommy Strutsalot

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on February 20, 2024, 07:31:18 PM
Some say shims work some say they dont..IMO no thats not gonna change the problem

Tru glo gobbler dot a far better opinion then the williams site..just make sure you measure you vent vib and buy the right ones.

Changing the choke is whats will move that pattern..no with that being said IC is not a bad choke..you may try a sumtoy and it may put you dead on 5 inches left..you just never know.

I just ordered this same gun and will look forward to your out come..I have loaded and been apart of the pattern sessions on 4 out of 5 of these Weatherby elements and your is the worst one i have seen...so there is hope,i wish you well and keep us posted

Thanks for the input! I am not surprised that my pattern is the worst you've seen as it's pretty bad -  I am definitely a bit disappointed.  This is by far the worst POI I've ever had on any of my turkey setups and it's the most background research I've ever done to choose a gun/choke/load combo.  I might try the sights or another choke, or I might sell the gun and buy another Franchi.   Every franchi I own shoots exactly where I point it with whatever combo I come up with.  Thanks again for the advice.

WV Ridge Reaper

I did not mean your pattern was the worst i had seen,i meant the Poa/Poi was the worst i had seen..If your a true bead shooter do not buy benille ask me how i know haha

Tommy Strutsalot

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on February 20, 2024, 09:41:45 PM
I did not mean your pattern was the worst i had seen,i meant the Poa/Poi was the worst i had seen..If your a true bead shooter do not buy benille ask me how i know haha

Copy that- I did understand but you wouldn't have known it by my response. And yes sir, I am also the proud owner of a Benelli Montefeltro that I had cerakoted according to my aesthetic tastes and it shoots like 60 feet high but it looks very nice propped up on my half wall behind my bed. What's got me bent out of shape about the Weatherby is I actually want to use this one!   :'(

Gman

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on February 20, 2024, 06:17:49 PM
Quote from: Gman on February 20, 2024, 05:56:56 PM

I've not heard of those but will certainly check them out.  Thanks for the input, could be my best option. Will prob try a different load or two and check them out if the problem persists.  Do you have any experience with stock shims by chance?

Yes, I have played around with the factory shims. My Montefeltro is shimmed so while I'm looking down the rib, my beads are stacked like a figure 8. As an ex-trap shooter I know that is the preferred sight picture so the shotgun patterns slightly high. I aim at the base of a gobblers neck and the pattern is centered above my aiming point by about 3 inches.

Gman

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on February 20, 2024, 07:31:18 PM

I disagree about the choke tube moving the pattern and here is why. IF the tube threads are cut concentric to the bore AND the tube is properly machined to be concentric, then the tube should shoot true. Now if the barrel or tube were NOT machined properly, then yes the pattern could be high/low or left/right of the point of aim. Jess Briley in Texas makes CUSTOM tubes to change your point of impact if you need an option.

ChesterCopperpot

This is one of the reasons why I have such a strong opinion that all turkey guns require adjustable sights, whether that be a rear sight to accompany the bead or whether that be a scope or red dot. I'd add a rear sight of some sort. The Williams that was suggested would be great, but lots of other options as well. I personally love a ghost ring or large-aperture peep for a rear sight on turkey guns.

Ranman

I have used shims to change the POI.. raising the comb, should raise the poi. your mileage may vary.. TSS is gonna shoot lower than lead or steel.