OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 510 Mini Super Bantam 18 1/2

Started by IORIO52, February 20, 2024, 09:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IORIO52

Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up this gun for my young boys and was hoping you can point me in the right direction on where to start with a choke/load combo? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BrowningGuy88

My son is shooting one with a Carlsons 575 and old Hevi 6's. It's all he needs at 8 years old. It also shoots long beards pretty well.

I have confidence it would do great with TSS but I'm not letting him shoot over 30 yards anyway, so no need for tss in this situation.

fmf

I've only shot tss loads through mine, federal, apex, and burgess creek and they all shoot good.  Apex and burgess creek shoot better than federal though.  I've used a carlson 562 and indian creek 562 and the indian creek shot the best, but the carlson was still good.  Having said that, those TSS loads are 1 5/8, and I wouldn't suggest those for young kids, that gun kicks like the dickens with full turkey loads.

krm944

Keith at Salt Creek Custom ammo has developed a 20 gauge TSS load for the youth hunters. All the companies want to load 1 5/8 ounce a payload most youths can't handle. When developing this load, he was considering the lightweight single shot guns (4 1/2 pounds) and payload vs recoil was key.

IORIO52

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice!