turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Indian Creek .562 or .570?

Started by mote1977, February 19, 2024, 09:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mote1977

I just pick up a Tuffy Turkey 20 gauge and I'm trying to decide which Indian Creek to try. I'm torn between the .562 and .570. Has anyone tried either in their Tuffy? I already have a Patternmaster Anaconda Striker in .570 so I was leaning towards the .562. I'll be shooting 1 5/8 of #9 hand loads.

Tyoung

.562 is unreal out of my encore.....,

runngun

I am going to hopefully be testing tomorrow. But mine is a Remington Model 870 20 gauge. I will test the 555 Indian Creek, Sumtoy 562 and A Primos tightwad that measures 568. A buddy has a choke from everyone of the choke tube maker's and in his gun the Tightwad out shot all of the ones he has.  ST, IC, JEBS, PINHOTI. SO we shall see tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tomtom97

I run the 562 and if you get it you will not be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainhunter1

Quote from: mote1977 on February 19, 2024, 09:03:52 PM

I just pick up a Tuffy Turkey 20 gauge and I'm trying to decide which Indian Creek to try. I'm torn between the .562 and .570. Has anyone tried either in their Tuffy? I already have a Patternmaster Anaconda Striker in .570 so I was leaning towards the .562. I'll be shooting 1 5/8 of #9 hand loads.

I have all three of them - and if I already had the Anaconda striker in hand as you do, I would not waste 98 dollars on a new IC, especially not in the .562 unless you are just wanting a super hot center core. You will only gain at most 25-35 pellets in the ten on average, and you are not guaranteed that although there are always a gun or two out there that will blow that consistent data out of the water.  If you want to buy another choke, I would recommend either the .585 or the .590 Trulock Precision Hunter. This will help to give you a better twenty coverage, which with TSS is the key to not missing a bird sooner than later. The worst TSS choke will have enough in the ten to get it done - but a turkey is not a statue and his head is more times than not moving all the time, and that twenty count part of the circle is where you make sure that a bird does not walk out of your shot string.

On a well set up Anaconda - expect a 280-290 in the ten/200-220 in the twenty give or take count. On a .570 Indian Creek, expect a 295-315 give or take in the ten/195-215 count in the twenty. On a .562 IC, expect a 312-330 ish or slightly more/with 180-205 in the twenty. Those are not set in stone numbers, but pretty close to average on most guns. I am talking an average of five shots as any gun can throw a much better pattern every few shots. And there is also is always a gun here or there that shoots on a whole another level and beats the posted ball park numbers I offer. If you have one of those guns, don't ever sell it. When you take into consideration those twenty numbers, you gain very little to lay that Patternmaster down and spend another 100 dollars on a .562 IC.

I wish that IC would offer a .575-.590 on their web site, you might could get them to make you one. But I do know that Trulock has them in stock on their site for around 59 dollars and don't let the price fool you - those chokes will do anything that the IC will ever do. I have them all and like them all - but the Trulock is as good as any choke made. Also know that Sumtoy can get you a more open choke to fit your gun such as a .585 or there about. That more open choke will improve the 20 coverage greatly. Any choke you screw in with TSS in the barrel will have enough in the ten, but the 20 coverage is where it is at when choosing a pattern.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

MattinIdaho

I run an Indian Creek .570 on my Benelli M2. I tried the .555 but not the .562. The .555 was great. But a hotter core than I wanted for hunting. With the .570 I get a super even pattern with Apex 9's. I consider it a 100% 50 yard gun with enough room for error that if I misjudge and the bird is at 55, it's still 100% dead. 50 is farther than I ever shoot. So the .570 IC is perfect for me. I just bought a Weatherby Element and am planning on running a .570 in it as well.