OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

THE MORGAN CALLER- Made By Kenny Morgan.

Started by quavers59, February 17, 2024, 09:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I am reading " again"-Turkey Hunting - A One Man Game. Starting on Chapter 9 though-- The Art Of Calling Springtime Gobblers. And on page82 there are 3 Morgan Callers and a big bunch of Beards.
   Reminded me of when,I made a huge purchase back in December  of 2000. My Book is Signed with the date of 12/20/00. Good Hunting Bill-- Kenny Morgan.
     I remember ordering this Book,a Trumpet,1 Frictionwood, and 1 Morgan Caller.
   I lost the Trumpet in the Turkey Woods. I gave and mailed Free the Frictionwood a good 5years back to Jim Casada. And the Morgan Caller? I just never got around to learning a Tube Type Caller. It sits unused still in a absolutely  Beautiful- Snakewood little circular container with a tight lid. And both are signed.
   And,I have also read twice Kenny Morgans last Book- AMERICA,WILD TURKEYS, + MONGREL DOGS.  Worth the money spent. Buy that book!
  Not looking to sell that Morgan Caller. Just thought,I would Share as,I warm up after shoveling  2 driveways up here in New York State on this Saturday  in Feb.
   I myself have written  3 Turkey Hunting Books. Old  project, I had Fun with back around 2010-12. Wrote a Hunting Poem Book as well.  Just broke even.
   Time to give ABBEY a Snow Walk as,I am warmed up. Have a good weekend all!

Howie g

Imo it should be mandatory to read both Mr Kenny's books and tenth legion before you can hunt gobblers .
  I think I've told this before , but it ain't the lst time I've repeated myself ..
I got to spend many mornings after chasing gobblers in Mr Kenny's living room as a young teenager learning the art of yelping up a gobbler . He preached what the young hunters today call old school hunting .
He preached call the gobbler to the gun with out crutches are short cuts.  Probably a boring way to hunt them to many these days .  But it's the " only " way to go at em imo .   

nitro

Agree.

The turkey hunting community lost a great man when Mr. Kenny passed .
Royal Slam 2008

Notsoyoungturk

Both are great reads.  I read America, Wild Turkeys and Mongrel Dogs this year and am rereading Turkey Hunting: A One Man Game.  Should be required reading if you like studying turkey hunting.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Clovis67

Definitely a National Treasure.... Mr.Morgan had a PHD in killing turkeys and was a great mentor and inspired many to call em in close...

runngun

There's a couple of listing for some of Kenny's calls on Ebay. I bid on them last night. I went up pretty high on them I finally backed away. I am going to watch them though.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

quavers59

Morgan has some great Short Stories in his 1st Book as well. The ones about Lu Howell and his Side by Side Parker were interesting.  And he Bagged Hundreds of Trophy Gobblers.
     I would love to own a Parker Side by Side.

runngun

Quote from: quavers59 on February 17, 2024, 04:27:50 PM
Morgan has some great Short Stories in his 1st Book as well. The ones about Lu Howell and his Side by Side Parker were interesting.  And he Bagged Hundreds of Trophy Gobblers.
     I would love to own a Parker Side by Side.
I had a very good Parker SxS and I let a friend have it. We have a deal if I want it back, it's mine. Now I have to find a picture of it.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: runngun on February 17, 2024, 12:57:54 PM
There's a couple of listing for some of Kenny's calls on Ebay. I bid on them last night. I went up pretty high on them I finally backed away. I am going to watch them though.

Wow. I'd heard his calls were fetching a price on ebay, but first time i've looked in a bit. I'll never sell my Frictionwood. I only got to meet him one time, at an NWTF convention before they became hyper commercialized. Two of his friends reside on this forum who've been mentors to me. We all share the same mindset, which is unfortunately a dying tradition. His books are always some of the first I name when folks ask about turkey hunting reads. My first edition of Mongrel Dogs is one of my prized possessions.

quavers59

Well deerhunt1988,I definitely  Turkey Hunt similar to Kenny Morgan. I have probably  used Decoys about 12  or so times since my late start in 1990 at age 30 due to ZERO Turkeys in my area of New York State when,I started to Pheasant Hunt in 1974 at age 14.
     Still improving my Woodsmanship + Calling since then.My 35th Spring is coming up+ add in 34 Fall Seasons as well. Still Learning out there. I gave been out Scouting and checking the Lay of the Land in both New Jersey+ New York a good 5 times already. I have to as,I am not into Trail Cameras.
    I hope to Turkey Hunt more alone this Spring as,I often seem to find myself helping out others.

quavers59

Well,I was just on Ebay checking prices of Turkey Calls after reading a few replys on another Thread. I believe  it is only my 2nd time ever checking.
    I CAN'T BELIEVE THE OUTRAGEOUS PRICES!! Some of those calls were upwards of $225 Bucks to over $700! Has me rethinking the Morgan Caller Snuff Tube and that Snakewood Circular Container. Must be a big market for this stuff.

Treerooster

I bought several calls from Kenny Morgan quite a few years ago. Didn't really use them a whole lot except his Frictionwood caller. That one has been a go to call for me since I've had it. There are a lot of turkeys in that little caller and I can do a lot of different calls with it. I truly believe the "quaver call" has broke a few stubborn gobblers for me over the years. When I set up on a bird I almost always have the Frictionwood handy.

It is a little fussy though. Only certain strikers sound good on it. Needs chalk fairly often. High humidity can affect how it sounds/plays too.

I had 2 Frictionwoods, one with the wood surface and one with a disk on the surface. Both sounded good but I liked the wood surface one best. I sold them though several years ago when I got some similar calls from another call maker that performed just as well. Use those now. Got a decent price for them but not as much as they are going for now. Sold the other K Morgan calls I had too... probably too cheap but oh well.

runngun

I bet that you sold them way too cheap. He lived not very far from me. I met him a couple of times and he was very nice. In reference to my above post I was breezing through the other night looking at different calls as well as checking out some that I placed bids on. And I just happened to see them. I think that they were around $100, so I said let me place a bid for these. I went all the way to $300 on one and $200 on the other. I quit because I kept seeing "increase bid"!!!! I am going to wait and see how high they go up. The seller did tell me that there's no reserve.

Treerooster

Quote from: runngun on February 18, 2024, 12:17:00 PM
I bet that you sold them way too cheap. 

I'm just not the type of person to get the mostest and the bestest from something. I got more than I paid for them and used the money to go turkey hunting. To me the real value in his calls, or ones like them, is the way they sound and call turkeys. The calls I replaced Kenny's with sound just as good and have more value to me that way than any dollar amount.

I'm happy with what I did. No regrets. And I would hope those Morgan Frictionwoods keep calling turkeys. They are too good to sit on a shelf.

runngun

Yes indeed! We are a lot alike! It's the capability of the call!!!