OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 O\U

Started by NCSWAMPFOX, February 15, 2024, 10:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCSWAMPFOX

which barrel do you prefer for first shot if both are running same tube constriction?
which barrel do you prefer for longer range shot if both are running different tube constriction?
thanks,phil

runngun

Definitely depends on POI. If all is good I shoot bottom barrel 1st.
If different chokes I personally would shoot top barrel for up close and bottom for distance.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Bowguy

It's most common to run the open choke in bottom barrel and top barrel gets the tighter choke. I've never even heard of anyone doing different til Tom007 said so he does that a few years ago but most common is the way I stated

BandedSpur

Quote from: Bowguy on February 16, 2024, 05:24:00 AM
It's most common to run the open choke in bottom barrel and top barrel gets the tighter choke. I've never even heard of anyone doing different til Tom007 said so he does that a few years ago but most common is the way I stated

I have written this many times on these forums, but I disagree completely. I have been shooting O/Us exclusively for turkeys since 2009 and have been shooting O/Us a lot longer than that. I used to shoot a lot of skeet and sporting clays. Everyone, and I mean everyone, that shoots clay targets with an O/U shoots the bottom barrel first. Why? Recoil. Due to the geometry of O/Us, recoil from the bottom barrel is more straight back into the shoulder and causes less muzzle rise compared to the top barrel. Shooting the bottom barrel first allows you to get back on target faster for the second shot of doubles.

Most O/Us will shoot the bottom barrel to a lower POI compared to the top barrel. That tendency increases with payload weight (due to more recoil). I load a heavier payload of TSS for the "tight" lower barrel of my guns and a lighter payload of TSS for the "open" top barrel. Shooting the heavier payload in the lower barrel minimizes the difference in POIs between the two barrels.

If you shoot the same shell through the same choke in both barrels, the difference in POIs is what it is, but you will still be enduring greater felt recoil and cheek slap than necessary if you shoot the top barrel first, given that you will normally only shoot once at a turkey.

I set up my guns with a red dot that centers the "tight" lower barrel and count on increased spread and a little Ky windage to compensate for the upper "open" barrel.

Tom007

You are correct Mike, I put the tight choke in the bottom of my Browning Cynergy Turkey. I got lucky with mine, the POI between the barrels is minimal, less than one inch. I set up my Red Dot for the lower barrel. My Browning barrels are angled tight, the chokes are super close (sometimes scraping) when I screw them in. That's probably how they get a Closer POI between both barrels. Here's my results:
"Solo hunter"

tracker#1

X2 BandedSpur is correct IMO... it's common sense to align your bottom long-distance barrel with your shoulder, more steadily...

NCSWAMPFOX

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Bowguy

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 16, 2024, 07:06:42 AM

I have written this many times on these forums, but I disagree completely. I have been shooting O/Us exclusively for turkeys since 2009 and have been shooting O/Us a lot longer than that. I used to shoot a lot of skeet and sporting clays. Everyone, and I mean everyone, that shoots clay targets with an O/U shoots the bottom barrel first. Why? Recoil. Due to the geometry of O/Us, recoil from the bottom barrel is more straight back into the shoulder and causes less muzzle rise compared to the top barrel. Shooting the bottom barrel first allows you to get back on target faster for the second shot of doubles.

Most O/Us will shoot the bottom barrel to a lower POI compared to the top barrel. That tendency increases with payload weight (due to more recoil). I load a heavier payload of TSS for the "tight" lower barrel of my guns and a lighter payload of TSS for the "open" top barrel. Shooting the heavier payload in the lower barrel minimizes the difference in POIs between the two barrels.

If you shoot the same shell through the same choke in both barrels, the difference in POIs is what it is, but you will still be enduring greater felt recoil and cheek slap than necessary if you shoot the top barrel first, given that you will normally only shoot once at a turkey.

I set up my guns with a red dot that centers the "tight" lower barrel and count on increased spread and a little Ky windage to compensate for the upper "open" barrel.

Well I agree but disagree w some of your points. I've shot o/u since prob the 90s and do so except turkey guns exclusively as well as shot a minimum 400 rounds a week up to 1500 for 15 years. Sporting clays, trap and minimally skeet.  But that's not the point. That's only to show you're not talking to someone doesn't know what they don't know. .
The bottom barrel is shot first, the second shot is commonly longer needing tighter chokes.  Of course it has to do with recoil impulse. Most times you put the more open choke in the bottom barrel as that is your first shot. If you surmise you'd be shooting the tighter barrel first as some dove guys like to being first shot is supposedly coming at you than yes. Choke that barrel tighter.
I'd still keep my open barrel lower. In turkey hunting how many shots ever do you get over 25 yards? Even 30 yards is not turkey choke range in best case scenario. Play the odds and keep the more open barrel under if that's your scenario.
If you'd assume you'd more often need longer range shots than choke tighter under but realize also we're prob talking selectors and not double triggers. If you need to switch it'd be less obvious making that change farther as opposed to closer

runngun

BUT We ain't shooting sporting clays. Shooting sporting clays I shoot open choke in bottom barrel, as you know 1st shot is usually close then top barrel with tighter choke for second longer shot. Skeet or Improved Cylinder in bottom the a light modified or improved modified in the top.
But like I said we're shooting turkeys NOT clays.
An open mind is a good thing.
Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Bowguy

Quote from: runngun on February 17, 2024, 05:58:44 PM
BUT We ain't shooting sporting clays. Shooting sporting clays I shoot open choke in bottom barrel, as you know 1st shot is usually close then top barrel with tighter choke for second longer shot. Skeet or Improved Cylinder in bottom the a light modified or improved modified in the top.
But like I said we're shooting turkeys NOT clays.
An open mind is a good thing.
Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Brother as I said. Play the odds. We're all in agreement bottom barrel goes first. If you think turkey choke barrel is gonna be most used place it there. I'll stand by my thoughts, more shots, especially by the experienced guys on here, than not,  are under 25 yards and that's not turkey choke range. As stated hedge bets as you see fit

BandedSpur

I agree with Bowguy about setting up an O/U for upland bird hunting. For grouse, quail, pheasants, etc. that are normally shot going away, I always set my gun up firing the lower barrel first with the more open choke, followed by the upper barrel running a tighter choke.

For turkeys, my 1.25 oz loads are not objectionable recoil wise when fired in the upper (open) barrel, the 1&5/8 oz loads are, so I run them in the lower barrel. I keep the selector set to fire the upper barrel in case a turkey pops up close by. Then if he is further, I have time to select the lower long range barrel. YMMV.

Teamblue

Put me in the first shot bottom barrel camp.  I put the tighter choke in the top barrel and more open in bottom on my cynergy ultimate turkey.  Old habits die hard for me. In double trigger, and single non-selective triggers with fixed chokes, bottom was first and more open.  Unless you have a European gun for driven game birds.  It just works better for my thought process personally.  If a turkey is close i can make a quick move to shoot with some leeway. And, as its running away getting further out i can be quicker with the top, tighter choke to miss it the second time.  I can see however, the point of wanting a more open choke for the second shot for a running turkey for more leeway. 
Like most things stick with whatever works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Not hijacking the thread... However,  Im new to the O/U turkey game and I'm all over this thread.. great info.
I 'm currently running a .585 in the bottom with 2-3/4 #7 HW (Steven's)
Top .560 with 3" #7  HW..
@ 30 my POI is close. My question for the sharpies is.. Would you like to see this set up a little more open in the bottom barrel?
All info is always greatly appreciated.

Thank you all
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

aclawrence

They had a sexy new Mossberg o/u at the NWTF convention. I got to glance at one and it was a 28ga but I'm sure they have a 20 to. It was short, light, and camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk