turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gray slate makers?

Started by g8rvet, February 14, 2024, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

gave my son a gray slate made for me by a client.  He called in a bird with it and has fallen in love.  I need a new one now.  Don't care about purty, just want something with a nice subtle sound that won't break the bank.  Any thoughts on current makers?  I don't want to buy production and 50-60 is my price point. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

runngun

Ben Gentry of Seminole Game Calls!!! He's on here. The guy can make a great call.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

OsceolaDreams

Busters Custom Calls, may be a little higher then your budget but def worth the money

Prohunter3509

Matt mclain great slates and is on here

3bailey3

Very nice Clay Townsend on here in the classifieds, $80, you won't find one much nicer!

Happy

Not sure what the price point is anymore, but Lonnie Sneed makes a heck of slate called the Hot Hen. Back when I bought mine, they were $45.00.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

PEte_A

Have a look at Lonzo's maple grey slate

jordanz7935

Id recommend a Lonzo Gray slate.... I got a bubbinga gray slate from him last year. Really strong all around call. It accounted for 6 or 7 gobblers last spring including my daughters first!

MDTOM84

letinmfly

In that price range check out Mike Whitney.  His company name is Coyote Ridge Custom Calls. 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

BTH

In that price point or any it is hard to beat for the money: Dawkins in plastic pot or possibly a Cane Creek reaper slate. The Primos Ol Betsy is supposed to be a good one as well. I think the older verions my be more sought after though.

If you can find one on the classifieds here my experience with a MAC slate in a cherry pot was fantastic! A Halloran walnut slate (older ones) and Oakridge slate over slate in a walnut pot. I like the older Footballer persimmon slates myself. Jason Powell and Dane Simmons make some very nice slates as well as Dustin Jones aka Blackstone calls.
Sweetbriar, Chad Remenaric, Paul Hicks, Rugged-Jake N.  and so many others here as well are well with a look.
Phil 4:13

owego

ChubCreek

John Sinclair makes a really good grey slate. He has a cedar grey slate/glass on his site for $60 right now. There is also a sound file of his cedar grey slate on his listing, so you can listen to the call or a really similar one before you buy it. He pairs his calls with a really nice striker also.

https://www.johnsinclaircustomcalls.com/store/p3148/3.50%22_Red_Cedar_Slate_over_Glass_24-140.html

g8rvet

Thanks all. Went with the John Sinclair.  I really like Red Cedar (just like the looks) and the sound file was nice to hear.  Nice soft sounding call, just what I was looking for.  Will update how it sounds when I get it.  Came with a paired striker too which is really nice. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Boykin Hollow

John makes some fine turkey calls.  His name does not come up very often for some reason but his calls are top notch.