Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions on alternate mouthpieces material..

Started by boatpaddle, February 14, 2024, 04:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ol bob

Quote from: greentrout on February 17, 2024, 12:08:53 AM
I really like Amodel.
Amodel is a good as you can get, problem is it's almost impossible to get.

Seth41

Quote from: speedracer on February 17, 2024, 08:18:55 AM
So guitarpartsandmore has a PPSU material called Cue Ferrule King which is supposed to be very tough, I have only used it twice so far but it is pretty hard and has an off white color to it, nowhere near as white as the Delrin and a little darker than the Q4. Only downside is that it didn't like my dull carbide cutters and I had to use a spindle gouge instead- if you use carbide and it's sharp it may turn fine...
I like it so far and will continue to use it
Rick

I got a piece of ppsu from McMaster Carr and it had more of an off white ivory color in my eyes than Davids ppsu but they both look good. Not to say either could change from batch to batch.  I don't mind the Q4 but the brittleness keeps me from using it.  I had a piece snap in half when I dropped it, same as acrylic mouthpieces sometimes do, and never messed with it again.  It does make a fine mouthpiece just don't ever drop it on a hard surface.
Seth Hamon
2024 Grand Nationals 1st Trumpet Tom Turpin Award
2024 Grand Nationals 2nd 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals 5th Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals - 2nd - Jordan Yelper
2023 Grand Nationals 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Grand Nationals 3rd Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2022 Buckeye World 1st & 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Buckeye Worlds 2nd Trumpet Hunting

Austy

That is a very important concern to me, the brittleness or softness of the mouth piece material because anything can happen when we are hunting.

speedracer

I have some of the McMaster Carr PPSU but I haven't turned any yet, I'll be checking it out for sure.
That pic I posted was a little on the large side so I resized and fixed it, sorry about that
Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt