Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions on alternate mouthpieces material..

Started by boatpaddle, February 14, 2024, 04:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatpaddle

Looking for options for a mouthpiece on a new trumpet..

Have any of you trumpet callmakers tried the Q4 imitation ivory ??

I haven't been keeping up with all new ivory like materials..

Hardness
Weight
Turning issues
Looks
Thanks for your time & replys...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

GregGwaltney

Quote from: boatpaddle on February 14, 2024, 04:04:33 PM
Looking for options for a mouthpiece on a new trumpet..

Have any of you trumpet callmakers tried the Q4 imitation ivory ??

I haven't been keeping up with all new ivory like materials..

Hardness
Weight
Turning issues
Looks
Thanks for your time & replys...

I used some Q4 imitation ivory that was supplied by a customer many months ago, my thoughts from memory.....

It provided a nice complimentary sound to the trumpet.... snappy/crisp
It seemed much softer than Delrin, turned pretty easy, but was tricky/finicky
I remember thinking thinning the tip of the MP was going to be hairy do to perceived softness, but it worked out fine
It looked really good, sounded great, I would use it again for sure

Greg
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Ram15

Where can I find mouth pieces for sale other than Grassy Creek. They are so expensive on em.

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Ram15 on February 15, 2024, 11:14:33 AM
Where can I find mouth pieces for sale other than Grassy Creek. They are so expensive on em.
If you are looking for MP material, there are lots of places that sell it depending on the substrate you are looking for. Just Google the material and a bunch of options will come up.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

merocustomcalls

I buy Delrin from McMaster Carr, and I buy imitation ivory from Guitarpartsandmore.com

Brian

boatpaddle

Thanks, fella's...

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

speedracer

I have used Q4 on several trumpets along with the R and S grades of artificial ivory from Warther- I would say that Greggwaltney's assessment is spot on. They say that the Q4 is supposed to be tougher than their other ivory's and it sounds and looks good but I don't think it's anywhere near the toughness of the industrial grade plastics like PPSU or Ultem, I wish they made Ultem in white...
Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Austy

So, as a call maker if someone were looking for the best "Man Made Material Option" for a substitute in place of real Ivory for a mouthpiece to make the call look nice or pop, what would your material choice be to make the mouthpiece from??  I am thinking that the average working man who wants to hunt their custom call cannot afford a $125.00 or $150.00 piece of Mammoth Ivory just for use as the mouthpiece material plus the added cost to have the rest of the trumpet call made. 

I have not tried the Q4 that Guitarpartsandmore offers to make a mouthpiece from so I cannot comment on that material.  I have used most of the other man-made Faux Ivory substitutes offered by Guitarpartsandmore but I am not overly excited by any of it.  To me it all seems to be very soft, nowhere near anything like Delrin, it is able to be easily dented or dinged if dropped and can also be broken fairly easily.  From my experience with the stuff it does end up looking very nice when finished and does have a fairly good sound quality I am just not overly excited about the stuff.

I have used Camel Bone which if a guy is looking for a natural material to be used to make his mouthpiece from it will work and I like the end product.  It does however tend to be on the brittle side so if dropped onto the mouthpiece (Like Real Ivory) there is a good chance there is going to be some damage to the mouthpiece, especially if the tip makes contact with a rock or something else very hard.  It generally does end up looking very nice and has great sound quality, at least in my opinion.

Other than those materials mentioned above I personally have not found a really good Faux Ivory Substitute.

So what other white in color material do you other trumpet call makers think makes for the best substitute for "Real Ivory"???

They Do make Delrin in white but it just doesn't have the look, it almost too white if you know what I mean.

greentrout

Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

speedracer

So guitarpartsandmore has a PPSU material called Cue Ferrule King which is supposed to be very tough, I have only used it twice so far but it is pretty hard and has an off white color to it, nowhere near as white as the Delrin and a little darker than the Q4. Only downside is that it didn't like my dull carbide cutters and I had to use a spindle gouge instead- if you use carbide and it's sharp it may turn fine...
I like it so far and will continue to use it
Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

GregGwaltney

Quote from: speedracer on February 17, 2024, 08:18:55 AM
So guitarpartsandmore has a PPSU material called Cue Ferrule King which is supposed to be very tough, I have only used it twice so far but it is pretty hard and has an off white color to it, nowhere near as white as the Delrin and a little darker than the Q4. Only downside is that it didn't like my dull carbide cutters and I had to use a spindle gouge instead- if you use carbide and it's sharp it may turn fine...
I like it so far and will continue to use it
Rick
I looked under "Cue Ferrule King" and nothing showed up, do you happen to have a part # available?

Thanks...Greg
gwaltneygamecalls.com

Austy

Look in the Pool Stick section and it is listed there in 5/8" X 6" long rods which would work perfect for a mouth piece.

speedracer

GregGwaltney

gwaltneygamecalls.com

speedracer

Q4 on the left and Cue King on the right
Not quite finished with the cue king mouthpiece yet...
Rick