OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old Double Barrels

Started by Gobbler428, February 14, 2024, 07:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alabama556

I have 8.5 and 9's. Both shoot great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: Alabama556 on February 22, 2024, 10:27:21 PM
I have 3 old German 16 gauges. All from the 50's.

16 gauge sauer drilling
16 gauge and 7-57r side by side rifle/shotgun
16 gauge Merkel o/u

I really like it because they have 2 triggers. I shoot apex tss that was made for older guns.

Where do you find this TSS that was made for older Guns?

Alabama556

Apex made it for the importer of the guns and I got it from him. I will double check and see if the shells he sold me are different from the regular apex 2 3/4 16 gauge shells.

I bought several boxes of 8.5 and 9's along with several boxes of BB shot. All were from apex.

Alabama556

I just confirmed that all the ammo from apex was its regular 2 3/4 16 gauge loads. 1 5/8 ounce of shot. Most of these guns are from post wwii and can handle modern shells. My friend just bought a bunch so he could have it to sell with his guns and by buying a bunch he could get 8.5's , 9's, and BB loads made for him.

crow

Quote from: Alabama556 on February 23, 2024, 03:02:37 PM
I just confirmed that all the ammo from apex was its regular 2 3/4 16 gauge loads. 1 5/8 ounce of shot. Most of these guns are from post wwii and can handle modern shells. My friend just bought a bunch so he could have it to sell with his guns and by buying a bunch he could get 8.5's , 9's, and BB loads made for him.

Your Merkel is a rugged built gun but those loads most likely aren't low pressure or low recoil. your still dealing with 70-75 year old wood and 1 5/8oz in a 16ga. is pretty stout going to have recoil. Old guns can crack thru the wrist.

Most 12ga. 2 3/4" were regulated with 1 1/8th to 1 1/4 oz of shot.
What I have seen is that shooting more shot than what the gun was regulated for will usually throw off POI to POA. TSS will magnify this problem more than lead shot

runngun

Crow is right on the money!!! Please be careful, have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Alabama556

I only shoot it a few times a year.

runngun

I totally understand!!! I love hunting with old guns, that's what they were meant for. I hope you get a biggun!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Alabama556

I used my drilling on a rabbit hunt this weekend. That gun has nitro proofed barrels. I don't know if my other 16's are nitro proofed.

Super Fox

I am an older mossback but new to the OG site. It has much valuable information.

I use a couple of Long Range 3-in LC Smiths. Also have a few AH Fox guns that pattern well. One of the advantages
of double guns is the instant ability to selectively load/use one's two barrels. This can be handy if an old wise gobbler
decides he needs to put some distance between you and him.

One barrel with # 6s and another with #4s sometimes really works. Or tss...**#$

Has anyone thought of the possibility of a separate Old Gobbler heading under Guns for : Vintage Guns ?
I think it would be welcomed for old doubles AND- turkey shotguns like the Winchester Model 12 Heavy Duck gun-which is quite famous,

JeffC

welcome to the best turkey hunting community there is Mr. Super Fox, Shannon will post up a thread every couple of years asking if there is a need or want for additional thread areas, stick around and keep this active and it may happen. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Super Fox

Thanks, Jeff.

Shannon and I exchanged messages yesterday and he really liked the idea of possibly adding a subheading on:
Vintage Turkey Guns or...somesuch title. I do think it would get regular visitation by members and guests. I was a bit
slow to break the ice -as I am a new jake-but our administrator is patient and appreciative.

I have no new turkey shotguns, as  I inherited quite a few Model 12s along with a few older American side X sides:

AH Fox BE Grade-1916
AH Fox XE Grade-1916
AH Fox HE Grade-1925  (Super-Fox 3 IN)
LC Smith Long Range-3 IN-1924
LC Smith "   " "-3 IN ------1925

Parker-VHE -2 7/8 in(3 IN)  1925

Figuring out lead vs NT loads and patterns keeps me busy! But I was out with one of the LONG Range Smiths early this AM.
This same 99 yr old Elsie has slain two big gobblers in the last few years.

Honorary Member- tenth Legion

DocHolliday

Super Fox

Older wood in older double guns: most of us who own  older double guns are sensitive to the potential
problems inherent with modern ammunition. Some of my Fox guns are over 100 yrs old. They were made to last, but dry  walnut
under the velocity and pressure of modern loads could exhibit cracking in the wrist and tang areas.

Most manufacturers place velocity on their shell boxes. Boss, Apex and others also make shells specifically for older double shotguns.

I have an AH Fox 1925 re-stocked HE Grade-that was made for ducks and geese. It weighs 9 pounds, however-which is equal to many 10 gauge
double Parkers and LC Smiths. AH Fox never ventured into the 10 Gauge shotgun market. Their HE Grades produced the same results in 3-inch /12 GA
with Super X Magnum shells.  Special ammunition or low pressure lead shot shells may be the best answer for some of us.

If you know of other low-velocity or low-pressure shotshell manufacturers, please let us know. Good hunting to all.

---------------------------------Tenth Legion--------------------------------

Super Fox

Foxtrot--A manufacturer of tss shot shells  make a 20 GA -2 3/4 in shell.
Trying to determine the velocity of their 20 ga shell before I subject
a 1926 Specialty Grade LC Smith to undue pressure.
Recently 2 3/4 20 GA requires a diligent search.