turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old Double Barrels

Started by Gobbler428, February 14, 2024, 07:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbler428

I am in the process of acquiring an old Fox 12 ga double barrel to turkey hunt with and was wondering who hunts with an old double and what gauge and shell do you use?

BrowningGuy88

I do on occasion drag out the old Fox 10 gauge sxs. It has 30 or 32" barrels, I've never measured. I shoot  copper plates lead out of it. I am nearly positive the last time I shot it I was using 2.5 ounces of 5's in the left barrel and 2.25 ounces of 6's in the right.

I've got a few old B's and 2's for it but I doubt I'll ever shoot them.

GregGwaltney

I carry a 12G Merkel SXS, X-Full on both barrels. The shells I have are 2 3/4" #5 Lead Pheasant loads, I believe they are 1 3/8 oz.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Greg Massey

The old double barrel I have I use the same, the 2.3/4 lead Pheasant loads ...    Better be careful using some of those shells because of the pressure they generate ...

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 14, 2024, 06:43:06 PM
The old double barrel I have I use the same, the 2.3/4 lead Pheasant loads ...    Better be careful using some of those shells because of the pressure they generate ...
True, even though my gun has "modern/1970-1980" steel by comparison to some of the really old SXS, I am still on the conservative side relative to the shells I use. Heck, these shells will kill any turkey I want out to ranges I normally shoot.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

crow

The last several years sometimes hunt with an old Greener choked xfull/xfull, either #7.5 trap loads or #6 handloads in the right barrel and #4 handloads in the left barrel.

Picked up an old Fox this fall, Xfull/Xfull, same loads as above, but still doing some experimenting with wad combinations for tighter center core patterns.

Fun guns to hunt with, lots of history

Gobbler428

Thanks for the input guys. The SxS i'm getting is full and full with excellent barrels. It was manufactured in 1913 and based on your input plus what I've picked up searching the internet, which is all over the place on this subject, I am going to take this gun to a gunsmith who specializes in old SxS's and have him inspect the gun and get his recommendation as to what I should shoot, Again, thanks very much for your input.

crow

Besides chamber pressure, another thing to be careful of in the old guns is the 100 yr old wood and the stress recoil has on it.

The old Foxes and some other older guns had long tight chokes, some of my best center core patterns are with using combinations of traditional type wads, felt, cork, over shot cards and hard card (nitro cards)

some of the worst patterns are with modern plastic wads, usually the thicker the turkey/ buckshot type wad is the worse the pattern. Those same plastic wads in a modern turkey choked 870 do great

several guns do really well with the wad that Federal  uses in their Top Gun 1145fps shells.
the factory load 7.5' pattern good and I use their wad with bigger shot for good patterns

Gobbler428

Quote from: crow on February 17, 2024, 12:22:24 PM
Besides chamber pressure, another thing to be careful of in the old guns is the 100 yr old wood and the stress recoil has on it.

The old Foxes and some other older guns had long tight chokes, some of my best center core patterns are with using combinations of traditional type wads, felt, cork, over shot cards and hard card (nitro cards)

some of the worst patterns are with modern plastic wads, usually the thicker the turkey/ buckshot type wad is the worse the pattern. Those same plastic wads in a modern turkey choked 870 do great

several guns do really well with the wad that Federal  uses in their Top Gun 1145fps shells.
the factory load 7.5' pattern good and I use their wad with bigger shot for good patterns
Thanks Crow

Yoder409

Have used a 1948 Winchester Model 21 in 16 gauge choked M/F with a Federal 1 1/8 ounce load of 6's in the cool purple hull.  Worked just fine.

Have a 1933 Winchester Model 21 in 12 gauge choked IC/Full that I've yet to bloody.  I shoot 2 3/4" Federal 6's with the FliteControl wad in it.

Cool guns to stroll around with.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Fillmoregandt

While it's not an "old" double, my current gun is a CZ Bobwhite All-terrain 20ga, with a Skinner peep and front ramp sights.  I have flush chokes: xf in the left (long barrel) and imp. Mod in the right

firedup

I have a couple I hunt with sometimes.  Oldest being a english late 1800's BP cartridge gun.  Call these guys. Very knowledgeable about older guns, pressures, ect.  Super nice and can really help you find the right load for your gun and needs.

https://www.rstshells.com/

Alabama556

I have 3 old German 16 gauges. All from the 50's.

16 gauge sauer drilling
16 gauge and 7-57r side by side rifle/shotgun
16 gauge Merkel o/u

I really like it because they have 2 triggers. I shoot apex tss that was made for older guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama556

They all have full chokes and will kill at 40 yards.

Gobbler428

Quote from: Alabama556 on February 22, 2024, 10:28:00 PM
They all have full chokes and will kill at 40 yards.

What size TSS shot do you use?