OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Something I’m not seeing?

Started by Bowguy, February 12, 2024, 10:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

I'm setting up a couple new guns. One is gonna have optic, other iron sights but on the optic.., why doesn't anyone talk about the prism sights? Seems there's some good things with them. I'm thinking they gotta be somewhat unpopular for a reason but the reticle works like a scope even when battery is off or dead and it's supposedly better for astigmatism. Seems lots better than red dots but I don't see too much in a search of info here

the Ward

Prism sights are great, but almost all of them have a very short eye relief due to their design. Not good on hard recoiling guns. Primary arms has a line of prism scopes, one is a 1x called cyclops I think? Reviews said it has a usable eye relief up to 6" which would work great for a turkey gun. I watched some youtube vids on it, and it looks to be a great sight. Considering one for a future build.I too like the idea of a etched reticle, in case of battery failure.

Bowguy

Thanks ward. It's a .410. I did hear the limited eye relief thing but figured for the gun I was putting together it'd not be an issue

rt2bowhunter

I ran a vortex spitfire on my Encore 12 ga.

It works pretty good. I have went back and forth from this sight to a holosun reflex. They both have their pluses and negatives.

It's true the spitfire is not battery dependent. But I did need to run the battery down. Because in low light with the light on green or red it washed out the target. But while turkey hunting I have never needed to turn it on. If you have the star burst effect using a red dot this sight will fix that. Being a 1 power it does seem to make things look farther away than they are. But again in the Turkey woods no big deal.

The reflex sight

I'm running has shake awake and auto brightness and insane battery life. And solar powered as well. Out side a pop up blind these are great. You never have a worry it's always ready when you are. I did have the stare burst effect until I got glasses now it's no more.

The auto brightness feature doesn't work well from a blind on this sight. Most of the time I have to run it on manually settings. This sight gets very dim so washing out the target is not a problem. But like I said from in a blind you will need to adjust the brightness yourself. In every case I can think of hunting I adjust the brightness once at the break of daylight then one more time on a real sunny day and that it. Outside of a blind I let the auto brightness do its thing.

They both hold zero great. It just boils down to what you like best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmf

I have a vortex spitfire prism sight.  It is a fantastic sight, it is just heavy, I think it weighs 12 ounces.  That is the only reason that I don't have it mounted to any of my turkey guns any longer

Bowguy

Well I've been shooting the prism sight. If you really look you can see the edges creep in just so. After an initial change I really didn't see much difference until it got back far enough. Strange. I've got eye issues. My dominant eye optic lens was hit in surgery so everything is blurry. When I look through the optic if I close my off eye it's blurry as always but if I keep both open as I typically with all scopes I don't see anything off. Looks crystal clear, I also see no edges creeping in. Gotta say I'm glad I went this way. I cheaped out n went with a vortex spitfire but can't be happier with the sight to be honest. I should add I'm
Shooting it without turning optic on but set low is more than enough when I tried it