Main Menu

8.5 vs 9 tss

Started by Jake.251, February 11, 2024, 11:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake.251

Who prefers 8.5s and why.

Ranman

BandedSpur

Nines. Better pattern density and all the penetration you will ever need, but it is purely academic. I have used both and either will work just fine. Don't overthink it.

Jake.251

Not trying to over think it. I have killed plenty with nines. I was testing a 20 ga the other day and it shot in the 290s with 8.5s. So considering the good pattern I was curious if there is really any advantage. The same gun shot 9s in the 300-320 range.

WV Ridge Reaper

Those 8s 8.5 hit like a train when they hit...If i was getting those numbers id prob go for it

Its like a yellow jacket or a wood hornet one hurts more and will mow a path of brush

You shooting 1 5/8 load ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

My 20 gauge Mossberg 500 does 235+ in a 10" at 40 yards with 8.5s in 1 3/8th load from Foxtrot.

20 years ago the goal was to break 100 in a 10" circle with lead 4s or 5s and we were happy.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Jake.251

tracker#1

Banded Spur is correct. Don't overthink it. NY went to #9s last year but I still use #8s tss hand loads because I believe they hit a little harder. That's me... I concentrate on shot placement

Happy

I prefer 8.5's if i am shooting tss. It gives me waaay more of a pattern than I need at 40, and since that's my max distance, I want them deaderer than if I shot them with #9's

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

If everyone here is 40 and in shoot any size, I had to load 7.5s for Iowa a couple years ago, pattern not nearly as good as 9s but better than my 12ga loads prior to TSS.

I have considered 8 or 8.5 to try and eliminate any shot in the meat, I get occasional pellets in the breast and legs/thighs.  Maybe with 8s that would go away?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 13, 2024, 05:57:29 PM
I prefer 8.5's if i am shooting tss. It gives me waaay more of a pattern than I need at 40, and since that's my max distance, I want them deaderer than if I shot them with #9's

X2 ... Agree

JeffC

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 29, 2024, 10:27:33 AM
If everyone here is 40 and in shoot any size, I had to load 7.5s for Iowa a couple years ago, pattern not nearly as good as 9s but better than my 12ga loads prior to TSS.

I have considered 8 or 8.5 to try and eliminate any shot in the meat, I get occasional pellets in the breast and legs/thighs.  Maybe with 8s that would go away?
New Jersey is still behind on loads, so have to shoot minimum of #7 1/2s , hope they catch up and allow #9s in the future. I dont reload, much easier to find 9s in stores.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Happy

With 8.5's, I haven't had issues. But to be fair, I aim at the head to try and keep shot out of the breast. My average shot is probably 25- 30 yards, so I don't have a very big pattern either.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Notsoyoungturk

Tried some Apex Ninja 8.5 today.  Patterned better for me than the 9s I was shooting.  The pattern is the decision maker.  It will be 8.5s this year.  Shot with Indian Creek 0.555 choke at 20 and 40 yards.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

GregN

Quote from: JeffC on February 29, 2024, 11:02:52 AM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 29, 2024, 10:27:33 AM

New Jersey is still behind on loads, so have to shoot minimum of #7 1/2s , hope they catch up and allow #9s in the future. I dont reload, much easier to find 9s in stores.

Fyi I have "heard" the a proposal to allow shot size smaller than the existing #7.5 shot has been approved by the fish and game council and will now move to legislature ....hopefully this gets finalized by next year.