OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake Boots with side zippers?

Started by Paulmyr, February 10, 2024, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Anyone using them? Looking to replace some vapor treks. Great boot as far comfort not so great as far as durability. Anyhow, how many have snake boots with side zippers? What are the pros and cons. Does the zipper stay waterproof? Thanks in advance for any info you could provide.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

sswv

mine are lace up with the side zip. never had an issue. put a little bees wax (or whatever you have on hand) on the zipper every now and then and you'll be happy.

Notsoyoungturk

I had some Rocky snake boots that zipped and laced.  I really like being able to get on and off quickly.  Never had a problem with the zipper or leakage.  I finally had to give them up because I wore out the soles.  I now swap between rubber and lace up.  I wish my lace ups had a zipper but they were a gift from my kids.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Paulmyr

Quote from: sswv on February 10, 2024, 11:33:45 AM
mine are lace up with the side zip. never had an issue. put a little bees wax (or whatever you have on hand) on the zipper every now and then and you'll be happy.
Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on February 10, 2024, 12:20:13 PM
I had some Rocky snake boots that zipped and laced.  I really like being able to get on and off quickly.  Never had a problem with the zipper or leakage.  I finally had to give them up because I wore out the soles.  I now swap between rubber and lace up.  I wish my lace ups had a zipper but they were a gift from my kids.
How how long have you guys had them and how many days a season are you wearing them if you don't mind me asking?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Notsoyoungturk

I had my zip ups for about 5 years.  I wore them for dove, bow deer season, turkey and working in the woods during the summer.  They had a lot of miles put on them.  The soles eventually separated from the boot.  I used some GOOP and glued them but that's when my kids bought me some new boots.  Probably a good thing, I would have hated to be deep into the woods when the sole separated again.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

squidd

Wore out a set of Vapertrek and switched to Mudtrek.

Mudtreks are a little heavier and shorter, but, so far so good and like the Mudtrek over the Vapertrek.

Howie g

Look up twisted x snake boots , they zip up on back side of boot .
Water proof and bottom land camo .

g8rvet

I just bought some of the redhead version.  Will use them this season and give you a review if still interested. 

Multiple ankle injuries and wide feet make tight slip ons no longer an option for me.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

sswv

I wear mine a LOT during the warm seasons and they have held up really well. actually a lot better than I expected.  I treat the leather yearly and keep the zippers smooth.

Greg Massey

Side zip boots are awesome for us old hunting guys ... LOL

Muzzy61

I wear the Redhead zip up's. Normally get about 4 years out of them. I hunt in Florida so I wear them anytime I'm in the woods.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Sixes

I know Cabelas used to make a good pair.  I wore them for several years before switching to Danner Pronghorn Snake boots

OJR

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 11, 2024, 12:24:08 PM
Side zip boots are awesome for us old hunting guys ... LOL

Agreed! I have some Rocky side zip snake boots and have worn them the past two seasons. So far, so good. Zippers do need some lubricating once in a while.

NCL

I have the Rocky side zip boots for about the last four or five seasons. I hardly wear them because I have large calves and can not zip them shut and the zip does not stay zipped. It is not very wet where I hunt so have not encountered any type of leak or dampness. Two years ago I went to snake legging because I have encountered rattlesnakes on a few occasions including one I almost stepped on. I probably should try to sell those boots as they just did not work for me.

Paulmyr

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I might be sliding into a pair of zip ups this year.