Staining a box call

Started by Prohunter3509, February 08, 2024, 09:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prohunter3509

I just made a box home holly
Wondering best color stain to use
It's white. Lol

Yoder409

Personally.......  I'd leave it the natural wood color.  Just a sealer coat of matte lacquer or polyurethane.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Prohunter3509

gonehuntin982

I have never stained a boxcall and would be hesitant to do so if the stain would have wax (minwax products) obviously wax will break friction if gotten on the lip of a call and not sure how stain would affect sound as some finishes can change the tone of the box

Mike

packmule

Quote from: gonehuntin982 on February 08, 2024, 01:13:47 PM
I have never stained a boxcall and would be hesitant to do so if the stain would have wax (minwax products) obviously wax will break friction if gotten on the lip of a call and not sure how stain would affect sound as some finishes can change the tone of the box

Mike

Mike, have you ever tried ebonizing a call?

gonehuntin982

Quote from: packmule on February 08, 2024, 03:09:10 PM

Mike

Well I used some ebonized wood that Steve Brown made I don't know if it's the same thing you're talking about but I never made any ?? Steel wool and vinegar ???

packmule

Quote from: gonehuntin982 on February 08, 2024, 06:36:13 PM

Mike

Well I used some ebonized wood that Steve Brown made I don't know if it's the same thing you're talking about but I never made any ?? Steel wool and vinegar ???

Yes that's what I was wondering about, steel wool and vinegar. I'm pretty sure that I've seen ebonized calls that Russell Beard and Tim Bullock made, was wondering if you had. I assume they did the ebonizing first, then tuned, but wasn't sure. Thought maybe you had experience and could comment.

gonehuntin982

Quote from: packmule on February 08, 2024, 07:48:06 PM
Quote from: gonehuntin982 on February 08, 2024, 06:36:13 PM

Mike

Yes that's what I was wondering about, steel wool and vinegar. I'm pretty sure that I've seen ebonized calls that Russell Beard and Tim Bullock made, was wondering if you had. I assume they did the ebonizing first, then tuned, but wasn't sure. Thought maybe you had experience and could comment.

I have no experience with ebonizing only with Steve Browns walnut which I'm not overwhelmed with

Paulmyr

I been using danish, and tongue oil to finish a couple box calls I made. It seems to do a decent job. It's not a flashy finish by any means but it darkens the wood a touch and brings out the grain a little better. Kind of an aged wood feel. The cream colored Catalpa I'm using gets a nice golden finish from the danish oil. Believe you can tint it as well. Might be able to put a CA or something over the top, I haven't tried. I think the calls sound pretty good
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

packmule

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 09, 2024, 09:03:20 PM
I been using danish, and tongue oil to finish a couple box calls I made. It seems to do a decent job. It's not a flashy finish by any means but it darkens the wood a touch and brings out the grain a little better. Kind of an aged wood feel. The cream colored Catalpa I'm using gets a nice golden finish from the danish oil. Believe you can tint it as well. Might be able to put a CA or something over the top, I haven't tried. I think the calls sound pretty good

That's gorgeous!

Paulmyr

Quote from: packmule on February 09, 2024, 09:25:23 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on February 09, 2024, 09:03:20 PM

That's gorgeous!

Wow! Thank you very much! I really appreciate that. I didn't realize how much work went into making a box til I started making them. I hate sanding end grain!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.