turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rib Mount on an older Auto-5

Started by Snoody Bastid, February 07, 2024, 04:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoody Bastid

Quick question. I have an older Belgium Browning Auto-5 and thinking of putting a FF3 on a rib mount (either Meadow Creek or Truglo). I had the barrel cut down to 24" w/new bead and threaded for Tru-Choke thinwall tubes (it had a PolyChoke on it). Would that vent rib/FF3 setup work due to the barrel slamming back & forth during recoil, or am I asking for trouble? I replaced all the springs & friction rings.
Thanks in advance.

Greg Massey

Interesting question... I would think William with Sumtoy or Meadow Creek could answer your question ...

runngun

I really don't think that I would have the confidence in this set up.  They're great guns. How does it pattern as is, POA vs POI.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Snoody Bastid

Thanks for the replies. Honestly, I haven't fired it since I had the barrel work done. I think I might try out some Fed Flite Control #5 & #6 (old & new) with a Mod choke. I was also thinking about some Williams or Truglo Mag Gobble Dot Pros but again I'm not sure due to the recoiling barrel.

Jbird22

I mounted a Meadow Creek rib mount w/Burris FF2 on my Belgium A5 Light Twenty this dove season. It worked fined and seemed to hold zero after several boxes of reloads and 1 oz Rio's. The gun did seem to hang up more often than prior to mounting the dot but it could just be a coincidence. I'll have to take off the mount to verify.

Snoody Bastid

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 08, 2024, 02:10:48 PM
I mounted a Meadow Creek rib mount w/Burris FF2 on my Belgium A5 Light Twenty this dove season. It worked fined and seemed to hold zero after several boxes of reloads and 1 oz Rio's. The gun did seem to hang up more often than prior to mounting the dot but it could just be a coincidence. I'll have to take off the mount to verify.
Thanks for that info.I would assume the rib mount/RDS combo would be adding more mass to the barrel regarding recoil function. Maybe I won't have that problem with the mag turkey loads. I more concerned about POI shift after each shot and the optic/mount loosening up.

Jbird22

Quote from: Snoody Bastid on February 08, 2024, 06:13:37 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on February 08, 2024, 02:10:48 PM
Thanks for that info.I would assume the rib mount/RDS combo would be adding more mass to the barrel regarding recoil function. Maybe I won't have that problem with the mag turkey loads. I more concerned about POI shift after each shot and the optic/mount loosening up.
Yeah, I'm suspicious of the additional barrel mass but honesty shouldn't be impactful. They won't move on the rib. My only concern is how hard the recoil is on the internal components of the Burris.

Snoody Bastid

My only concern is how hard the recoil is on the internal components of the Burris.
[/quote]
Exactly my thoughts as well.