OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Proph vs. .0025 Latex

Started by compton30, February 07, 2024, 01:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: Earlybird31 on February 22, 2024, 10:59:34 AM
This has opened up a rabbit hole for me. I usually use natural 0.025 latex for the dampening reeds and 0.03 latex for the sound reed. I get my stuff from Pioneer. It comes in zip lock bags which I store in a dark cool area. However, I do have creases that form in the latex and I do oftentimes have the wings of my calls (ghost cut) that elevate off the dampening reeds once completed. When I wet the call the wings tend to stick to the dampening reeds, so I'm not sure the sound is impacted. Also, I tend to use cut pieces of paper clips to keep the sound reed separated from the dampening reeds during storage.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong I need to change and is there a particular way I should store my latex/calls to avoid such issues? If this is unrelated to the above discussion, I apologize. Thanks beaucoup for everyone's feedback.

Reeds sticking together on multiple-reed calls is a common problem, I believe (at least it is for me).  I think your method of storing calls with some sort of divider between the reeds is also a common solution.  I have never bothered with that myself, choosing instead just to have lots of calls around (another benefit of making your own calls). :D

When a call is actually in use, however, the divider trick is obviously not practical...or at least I have never found it to be. When using a call, I have always just gently pulled the reeds apart if they got stuck...assuming the sound quality is impacted...and just tried to blow the reeds dry.  That generally has worked for me, but over time, doing that will fatigue the latex and impact the sound of the call, as well...not to mention that on occasion, pulling the reeds apart like that will result in tearing the reeds, which tends not to be a good thing.   ;D

My alternative solution is to have several calls with me when hunting, and if I start losing the sound quality I want with a call, I just switch to another one.  The bottom line for me is that I just don't worry about any of those reed issues with calls. At the end of each season, I disinfect my calls with some sort of mouthwash/water solution, dry them as best I can without a whole lot of effort, and store them in the fridge.  Then, the next time I am planning on using those calls, I will try to carefully separate the reeds and will again disinfect them prior to using them to get rid of any nasty little microscopic critters that might have found a place to hide.

Usually, however, I end up just using a new batch of calls I have made during the offseason.  Not sure why I even bother with the older calls anymore.   :) :icon_thumright:

Gooserbat

Quote from: Sadler McGraw on February 14, 2024, 09:09:48 AM
The jacked up cuts that stick up in the air and look like horns on a goat are what I m referring to.  All of these new call makers have no clue how to stack latex so that the Horns don't stick up.  They will learn after 20,000 or so calls built.

So much to learn and 20,000 is only when thing stat to come together.  I've been doing this 15 years and im still learning.  Changing material keeps me changing techniques and pushing my abilities to build the best calls possible.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.