OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mounting Optics

Started by cwb04, February 07, 2024, 10:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwb04

Setting up my first dedicated turkey gun and I am going with a Sumtoy mount and Burris FF3.  This will be my first optic on a turkey gun.  My question is - Do those of you that have optics use loctite for the mount and/or the optic?  I have read some just torque the screws to a certain level and others use loctite. 

As a dedicated turkey gun (pistol grip) I don't see me ever taking the mount or optic off for any reason other then a malfunction. Thanks in advance!   

Teamblue

Right or wrong I always use a small dab of blue loctite on both the mount to the receiver, and the reflex to the mount.  It's extra insurance not to shoot loose and is very easily reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler428

I used the blue loctite on mine. That's the medium strength which can be removed with torque if need be. If you use loctite, I would not advise using the red loctite unless you never intend on taking it off. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Ridge Rooster

I use Blue and torque to 18inch Pnds on receiver and 15inch Pnds on the red dot to base. has worked for me for years and never had one shoot loose.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

runngun

10 inch pounds with blue lock tite

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

cwb04

Thanks for the information fellas.  Much appreciated!

wtrbrdm

I'll add a quick thought.  At work, we make sure any optics mounted on pistols or rifles are mounted with torx heads screws...especially using blue loctite.  Blue is removed with torque and hex/allen head screws are way easier to strip when removing.  You can find a lot of sellers online selling torx screw sets for optics/mounts.  Also, just because I have to say it, proper size hex bit and positive downward pressure onto the screw when relieving torque.

Never red loctite for optics...or rocksett :-)

Investing in a Fat Wrench is a good idea if you'll be working on firearms.

Teamblue

On the red vs blue loctite.  My tube of blue loctite is in a red tube. My tube of red loctite is in a blue tube.  Just a weird observation.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

cwb04

Great information - thanks again fellas.  William - I will be placing and order soon!!!

runngun

Quote from: Teamblue on February 08, 2024, 06:53:45 AM
On the red vs blue loctite.  My tube of blue loctite is in a red tube. My tube of red loctite is in a blue tube.  Just a weird observation.

This right here!!! I have found this is the truth!!! Plays mind tricks on me. A friend of mine bought the blue tube thinking that it was BLUE. When putting sights on A Glock, squeezed the bottle a little bit to hard, RED LOCK TIGHT came squirting out all over everything!!! PANIC WIPE!!!
JUST SO YOU KNOW IT IMPROVED THE GLOCK!!!
YEAH, I AM A GLOCK HATER, HECKLER AND KOCH FOR ME. I HAVE BET MY LIFE ON IT.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

cwb04

For anyone else wondering - after all this great advice, Loctite 242 is the one!  Thanks again fellas.

10th Legionaire

Quote from: cwb04 on February 09, 2024, 02:29:05 PM
For anyone else wondering - after all this great advice, Loctite 242 is the one!  Thanks again fellas.

Yeah there are so many different Loctite products it will make your head spin. A guy on a motorcycle forum I'm on is a Loctite tech rep and a few years ago when I bought a Harley he sent me the Loctite tech poster with all of the various products identified on an Electra Glide. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you there were more than a dozen different Loctite products spec'd for that bike.
Less is more