OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I Challenge all Callmakers..................

Started by pappy, July 10, 2011, 11:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

Ok this may sound a little off, but I would like to challenge every callmaker, no matter their expertise, or lack of, to make a turkey call using the below listed scrap.
1. tin can or sardine can
2. pine 2 by 4
3. legos
4. old photographs
5. assorted springs
6. balloons or rubber bands
7. slate
8. old CD's
9. acrylic or latex paint
10. glue or fasteners of some type
Make whatever kind of call you want, it has to make a sound at least similar to a turkey, crow, owl or other call used in turkey hunting and it has to be able to withstand the pressures of being used more then once. It cannot be vulgar. You have to come up with a name, and an advertising slogan to describe the call. like you were placing it out on the open market.
Pictures have to be submitted, and since not everyone is able to make sound bites, we are just going to have to be able to trust that the call is workable....you will have 10 days from Monday to start, July 11th through July 20th. Then there will be a grace period of two days to post pics, July 21st and 22nd. Then we will take our votes. Everyone will vote and judge, like we did on the oddest trade post. We will vote for three days, 23rd - midnight the 25th, and on the morning of the 26th, we will see who has come up with the wildest or craziest or the best looking or what ever call. Bragging rights will be the prize....callmaker will be crowned " Greatest Scrap Callmaker of the year"
Now I know season is slower for some, then others, so this should give you something to do, have fun and be creative.....pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

TRKYHTR

Does the call have to have all of those ingrediants or just some of them?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

pappy

That's a great question, they have to have at least some of them incorporated into the call.
tel...573-380-8206

stone road turkey calls

that's the same stuff that keeps my truck going.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

pappy

tel...573-380-8206

drenalinld

Can't wait to see a few of these calls. I'm not a call maker, but I have made a few decent sounding pot calls from the bottom of an aluminum can and a plastic skoal can. I also made a few tube yelpers from snuff cans and........(well that ain't bubble gum in those machines in quick stop restrooms.........lol

TarheelTurk

Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

bbcustomboxcalls

Well, I guess I'll be the first one to take up the challenge pappy.

This is my tuna can call.  I incorporated at least 3 of the things you listed into it.  Tin can, slate and glue and there is also some cedar on the inside.

The call features slate/glass with 2 sound chambers.

Great overall sound quality with good volume and produces outstanding clucks and purrs.
I found that a canarywood striker works best with this call.

Here is a one time offer buy two and get one FREE!  (I hope you guys understand I'm kidding theres no way I would want to sell these things) Ha!

This is a great call for hunters and fishermen because it "Sounds like a turkey and smells like a fish."

Top view

Bottom view

Bottom view, with one of my regular size calls as a comparison.

Bill

drenalinld

TarheelTurk

Great Call Bill! Pappy good lord willing i should be able to take ya up on this challenge also, had a few creative thoughts yesterday. So we'll see
                      Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

TRKYHTR

So far, Pappy, I don't know whether I love you or hate you. The jury is still out.  :lol:  :help:

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

pappy

Now see, this is what I am talking about, creativity .... Bill that is awesome, I am only hoping more callmakers will follow suit, this is a great opportunity to get away from the grind. GOTTA LOVE ME
tel...573-380-8206

TRKYHTR

I got one done. I'll post pics tomorrow. I want to make a sound file to send with it. Unless it wont make a turkey sound.  :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

TRKYHTR

Here is my call. I took a few pics as I was making the call. I also have a sound file of the call at the bottom. The only thing I wasn't able to put on/in the call was a leggo. I had no access to leggos and didn't want to buy one just for this.

TRKYHTR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV7TEcAyuro

RIP Marvin Robbins

vaturkey

Joe

You are THE MAN  !! Great job ! !

Take care my friend !!

Ricky   :newmascot:
Vaturkey