turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DD Adams pot call?

Started by aclawrence, February 03, 2024, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Hey fellows, my brother was just given this call. I recognize the name. Can y'all give me any info on it?  How old or if it's worth anything. It's pretty heavy and looks like a thick piece of slate stuck right to the pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Harold Shields from Tuscarora Legend built it. PA builder, and if I recall correctly, Harold was given the rights for DD's pot design after DD stopped making calls. I have several of Harold's pots, all players for sure.

Once in a while a handful of still in the package Tuscarora pot calls pop up on ebay, collectors usually grab them.

There's another call builder who is now building these again since Harold passed.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Yoder409

Harold was a good duck and a buddy of mine.  He passed away 7 years ago.  He was a good friend of D.D. Adams and helped him build calls, I believe.

The rights to the "D.D. Adams" name were purchased by Quaker Boy.  I'm not sure how that agreement allowed Harold (Tuscarora Legend Calls) to continue to use D.D.'s name.  Harold made some awesome pot calls, strikers and box calls.   After Harold's passing, Earl Ritzman (D.D. Adams' nephew) and his wife Cindy (Mountainside Calls) began making the calls and..... I believe...... continue to do so.

I may have a detail wrong somewhere. But that's the story as best I understand it. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

Ridgemont Outdoors, in the vicinity of State College, recently acquired the rights to the DD Adams signature pot design, and is listing newly built "Tuscarora Legend" pot calls on ebay crafted to the original Harold and DD specifications.

I have not heard a Ridgemont Outdoors produced pot call to offer an opinion in comparison to my own Harold-built pots, but these new ones sure looks like they'd have the same sound.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

aclawrence

Wow thanks for the info. I don't think it's a recently made call because it came out of a house that was being used for storage. Very interesting. Sounds like a cool call to add to the collection.

Yoder409

Quote from: aclawrence on February 03, 2024, 11:17:13 PM
I don't think it's a recently made call because it came out of a house that was being used for storage.

D.D. Adams passed in 1988, so.........

Not sure when Harold started making the Tuscarora Legend calls.  I know he was making them when I first met him in the early 1990's.  But, it could have even been somewhat before that.  Your call COULD reasonably be pushing 40 years old.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

EZ

Quote from: aclawrence on February 03, 2024, 11:17:13 PM
Wow thanks for the info. I don't think it's a recently made call because it came out of a house that was being used for storage. Very interesting. Sounds like a cool call to add to the collection.

Definitely one to hang on to.

shatcher

Roger Parks' slate looks similar.

Tarheel

Just a heads-up to those who might own an original DD Adams pot call.......

I ended up with 5-6 plastic flower pot bottoms I was in the process of scrimshawing before sending to DD Adams when he died. After DD died, I put them away in a box and forgot about them until I was talking with Roger Parks several years ago at Unicoi. Roger warned me how brittle the plastic has become in the flower pot bottoms DD used with his original double slate pot calls.  At the time, I really didn't take the problem seriously, but I later found out how serious the problem really is.....the plastic will explode if dropped on a hard surface and will definitely crack if you try to drill it.