OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Doc said no shotgun this year. Can you give me a crash course in Crossbows?

Started by Timmer, February 02, 2024, 10:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hook hanger

I would ask the Dr first about a 410. That would be much cheaper setup to  buy before buying a crossbow. If you do go the crossbow route buy the biggest 3 blade expandable broadheads. You will hunt much slower with one than a shotgun they are not fun to carry around. Shot placement is key, they may be in range and never present a good shot.

FL-Boss

When doc thinks of shotgun, he is likely assuming a big 12ga.   +1 of the .410 .. use little 2.5in TSS shells if you can find them.. or have someone make you a batch.  You can just put that on top of the knee and shoot without even putting against your shoulder. I would much rather do this over a crossbow.

Timmer

THANK YOU EVERYONE!   I really appreciate all the thoughts and tips.  Also the well wishes.  I appreciate everyone on this forum!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Cut N Run

Thinking healing thoughts for you and I hope you have a great turkey season.

A permanent shoulder injury and multiple surgeries forced me to join the crossbow club.  They are brush magnets and if you try to stalk hunt with one, they will want to grab every limb and leaf you pass by.  I have not taken a turkey with mine (haven't shot at one yet either), mainly because I haven't tried using it lately.  Once I got clearance from the doctors to go back to a shotgun, I haven't looked back.  I have killed a truckload of deer with it though, including one of my 5 best ever bucks. When I had a cooperative longbeard in range, there was a tree that one of the limbs would have hit, sending the arrow who knows where.  He moved behind me and got towed off by a live hen.

Since the inertia of most crossbows is for the limbs to travel forward, you won't have much if any backwards force, like a firearm recoil. The good thing is, you can shoot them accurately the first day you start shooting them.  There isn't the learning curve, like with a traditional vertical bow.  Like anything though, practice gets you familiar with what the bow will or won't do at different ranges.  As previously mentioned, a cocking device is your friend.  If I didn't have one, I wouldn't be able to draw the crossbow. 

Good hunting & feel better.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Number17

My kids shoot a crossbow for deer and a .410 for gobblers. The crossbow actually "kick" or jumps or whatever you want to call it more than the .410 does even with 3" shells.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

rifleman

.410 does sound like a good option.  Many of the newer crossbows are very narrow these days.  I would suggest an Excalibur crossbow for simplicity and the new Micro series are not wide at all.  I have the MicroMag 340 but I did fit it with Excalibur's cocker.  A great guy to buy from is Dave at Wyvern Creations.  He is very easy to talk to and wants to fit you up right.  Good luck.  .410 would sure be a lot cheaper option for sure though.  My Micro and cocker ran about $800.

Yoder409

May be a case for a .410 gas autoloader, a pop-up blind and a Bog Pod (or similar) with a gun gripper on top.

Functionally, you won't be receiving any recoil AT ALL with that setup.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

tad1

agree with all the other posters, a crossbow would be just as rough or rougher than a sub gauge shotgun, softer shooting autoloader with a reasonable load of tss.  A .410 single/tss should be guaranteed at 30 if you do your part.  it would be lighter weight than a bow and easier to manage, no cocking, etc. 
     It is good to heed drs advice but mainly you need to be taking things easy and not overdoing it.  Doc would be a fool/liable to tell you to go ahead and have at it.   Good luck man, heal up and get after them, you got this!
      JT

bwhana

A 410 with a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad would do wonders to eliminate the recoil to a likely doctor acceptable level.  I know it is very kid friendly for sure.

tad1

Then again, a crossbow would be a fun challenge too!  Or you could take a friend or youngster along and try and get them a bird.  That could be rewarding!
   JT

squidd

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 02, 2024, 01:50:04 PM
I have been selling Crossbows for 30+ years, they have their place for hunting. I am still a firm believer in if you are able to use a conventional use it, with that said when my dad turned 65 and had not been bowhunting since I was 12years old I never had those hunts with him... Well on my birthday that year I bought my dad a "present", a TenPoint Crossbow that I got a good deal on, dad was sure confused why I bought him a present on my birthday, my present was that I was going to be able to bow hunt with him!

So here's what I would tell you, if this is just a temp thing, I would look at a Wicked Ridge M370, you can find them a good deal right now on sale, check out Cabela's/Bass Pro page for this, it has scope/quiver/and AcuDraw System, you will need bolts for it, not in the pkg, go with the Carbon 400's and 100gr broadheads.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/wicked-ridge-m-370-crossbow-package-with-acudraw

If this is going to be a from here on out, I would spend a little more and upgrade to a AcuSlide System, this way you do not have to fire a bolt off after every hunt, you can SAFELY de-cock the crossbow. If this is long term then I would look at the TenPoint Turbo S1, more money but well worth it.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/tenpoint-turbo-s1-crossbow-package-with-acuslide

If you any other sort of question with this, you can PM me.

MK M GOBL

X2 and exactly what model I went with. 

Easy to work with to include sighting in and maintaining. 

I did find a nice soft case on Amazon that fits the M370 perfectly.

Timmer

Timmer

huntrwilliams

What about just using this season to mentor a new Hunter as well?

If the .410 option doesn't work I would be limited to a blind set up with a crossbow.

But if all else fails I think you could get a similar enjoyment out of coaching and calling someone to get their first longbeard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timmer

Quote from: huntrwilliams on March 13, 2024, 04:13:14 PM

I have been a mentor in conjunction with the NWTF and MN DNR many times.  You are on the right track.  I have had some complications with the two sides of my breast plate moving and not healing as fast as normal.  I'm not going to shoot anything.  However, my wife was able work magic with my 10 year old son's school and sport schedule to take a trip with me and I am taking him on his first hunt!
Timmer

huntrwilliams

Quote from: Timmer on March 13, 2024, 06:44:12 PM
Quote from: huntrwilliams on March 13, 2024, 04:13:14 PM

I have been a mentor in conjunction with the NWTF and MN DNR many times.  You are on the right track.  I have had some complications with the two sides of my breast plate moving and not healing as fast as normal.  I'm not going to shoot anything.  However, my wife was able work magic with my 10 year old son's school and sport schedule to take a trip with me and I am taking him on his first hunt!
That's awesome. Good luck to you!