OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke tube question

Started by Gman, January 31, 2024, 09:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman

Does stopping the wad from spinning (in either a clockwise or counter clockwise rotation) while exiting the choke tube play an important part in keeping the pattern consistent or possibly tightening it up?

I have a machinist friend that will mill 5 or 6 shallow lengthwise grooves (parallel to the bore) in a factory full choke tube for me & I was curious if this could possibly help tighten up a pattern.

This would be for a 20 gauge Mobil choke tube shooting "old school" lead.

krm944

Matt Tyree on YouTube has done some tests with a tube that is straight rifled. It doesn't pattern well.

https://youtu.be/hbIKm31azOU?si=AOlH9F-LbUDQwbh7

Gman

Just watched the link that you posted. He was shooting buckshot, but I might let my buddy mill in some shallow grooves & shoot some #5 and #6 lead magnums just for shyts & giggles.

runngun

I tried rifled choke tubes a long time ago with no luck at all.  Indian Creek has steps. They work very well. I have tried everything except a fully rifled shotgun barrel. Which now I may just have to. I have one on my 1100. I believe that just about every choke manufacturer makes claims that their choke imparts spin or slows down the wad.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Gman

Quote from: runngun on February 01, 2024, 03:33:08 AM
I tried rifled choke tubes a long time ago with no luck at all.  Indian Creek has steps. They work very well. I have tried everything except a fully rifled shotgun barrel. Which now I may just have to. I have one on my 1100. I believe that just about every choke manufacturer makes claims that their choke imparts spin or slows down the wad.

Were these "straight rifled tubes" or the ones with a twist made for slugs?

Do Indian Creek tubes have rings cut in to separate the steps?

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gman

runngun

That's a Sumtoy!! And they shoot too.

runngun

Quote from: Gman on February 01, 2024, 09:16:29 AM
Quote from: runngun on February 01, 2024, 03:33:08 AM

Were these "straight rifled tubes" or the ones with a twist made for slugs?

Do Indian Creek tubes have rings cut in to separate the steps?
Yes, Indian Creek has steps 3 I think.
The one that I was talking about had straight cuts like rifling but not spiraled. I am trying to remember who made them. The guy that I am thinking about maybe "Tom Casey"

Gman

Quote from: runngun on February 01, 2024, 09:37:33 PM

Interesting.

Do the Sumtoy replacement tubes for a factory production barrel (like my Benelli M1 Super 90 Monte') have the straight rifling or is it a custom made tube?

SumToy

Quote from: Gman on February 02, 2024, 01:47:18 PM

Interesting.

Do the Sumtoy replacement tubes for a factory production barrel (like my Benelli M1 Super 90 Monte') have the straight rifling or is it a custom made tube?

They do,   When we came over from the target world to the hunting world we used the same technology to develop our chokes. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gman

Quote from: SumToy on February 03, 2024, 09:53:49 AM
Quote from: Gman on February 02, 2024, 01:47:18 PM

Interesting.

They do,   When we came over from the target world to the hunting world we used the same technology to develop our chokes.

Thank You for the reply. I will call you in the upcoming week to ask some questions & probably order a tube.  Thanks!

Borden811

:lol:g
Quote from: krm944 on January 31, 2024, 09:26:08 PM
Matt Tyree on YouTube has done some tests with a tube that is straight rifled. It doesn't pattern well.

https://youtu.be/hbIKm31azOU?si=AOlH9F-LbUDQwbh7

I have a factory Remington straight rifled turkey choke from back in the day that shoots excellent with lead shot in my 11-87.

Ihuntoldschool

No , I don't see how it could.
The shot is way ahead of the wad when it exits the barrel.