turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scratchbox commentary.......

Started by Tarheel, January 31, 2024, 10:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

When I first expressed an interest in learning how to play a scratchbox years ago, the method I was taught required the box to be held in the left hand with the slate striker held in the right hand....for right-handers.  In the turkey hunting community where I grew up, all scratchbox strikers were slate.  Some of the old-time turkey hunters held the slate striker between the fingertips of their thumb and index finger at one end: and others held the striker between the fingertips of their thumb and middle finger end to end of the striker.  The lip of the scratchbox was held stationary while the striker was drawn or stroked across the lip of the scratchbox soundboard.  All of these old-timers could kill a turkey, and they were very effective regardless of their method of operating their scratchbox. All of their scratchboxes were home-made. In fact, I never saw a store bought turkey call until after I graduated from high school in 1970. IMHO the scratchbox is treated like the Rodney Dangerfield of turkey calls. My father somehow came up with the idea to score the slate striker of his scratchbox, and that was a point of controversy until it was pointed out there were two sides to that striker....LOL!!! As I became active in the NWTF as a local chapter president in the late 1970s, my wild turkey world expanded, and I was able to meet other turkey hunters who hunted scratchboxes. Then I started making my own scratchboxes; and every scratchbox I make I try to make better than the last one I made.  I don't want my scratchboxes to sound like a scratchbox when they're played....I want them to sound like a turkey.  I want to hear that "keee-yawwk" in the yelps and the inflection in the yelping. I want them to play soft and to play loud with all the inflection any real turkey and/or turkey call is capable. Over the last 40 years, my style of playing a scratchbox has changed....really changed.  I hope it will continue to change as I have learned the scratchbox is way more capable than me if I really give them the time and opportunity to show me what they're capable.  Too many times when I hear a scratchbox being played, it sounds like a scratchbox. Now that "scratchbox" sound kills turkeys....lots of turkeys, but....a scratchbox is capable of more.  Frankly, I'm doing what I can to promote scratchboxes....to demonstrate and bring attention to the value scratchboxes have....or can have if we do the research and development.  I don't make many turkeys calls....I'm too slow and particular....LOL!!! But IMHO, the scratchbox is worth a closer look than we have given it.  The question I keep rolling around in my head was asked me years ago when I was hunting the Virginia mountains, "Marvin, why would you want to carry a box call in the woods turkey hunting, when you can carry a scratchbox? Is there an advantage to the box call worth you carrying the extra weight?" But I do like my Albert Paul short box, and my boatpaddle when I need them. The scratchbox isn't just a scratchbox for me, and sometimes I get somewhat carried away....LOL!!!  But what we see isn't all that's there....there's more!!!  IMHO more of the improvement in sound from a scratchbox will revolve around striker design and materials in the future. I have some ideas.......LOL!!!

3bailey3

runngun

Yes indeed!!! I really like scratch boxes!!! Lite, extremely versatile!!! I have seen the way you are able to run them and you can flat out run it!!! I don't make many calls either but I am constantly trying to make it better than the last one.
Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tarheel

Paulmyr

I been working on this one. It's my 1st. It's close but not quite there yet. I little to high pitched I think. I had to do something with the scrap pieces of wood I was throwing out. It's a Mulberry box with a Catalpa striker. Not sure if it needs a thinner striker or sound board. Hopefully I can get it too where it needs to be.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

greentrout

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 06, 2024, 10:52:58 PM
I been working on this one. It's my 1st. It's close but not quite there yet. I little to high pitched I think. I had to do something with the scrap pieces of wood I was throwing out. It's a Mulberry box with a Catalpa striker. Not sure if it needs a thinner striker or sound board. Hopefully I can get it too where it needs to be.

I like it! Don't give up on it Paul.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Tarheel

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 06, 2024, 11:17:00 PM
Quote from: Tarheel on February 06, 2024, 01:43:08 PM
Here's what I want a scratchbox to sound like.......

https://www.facebook.com/100000684933790/videos/1320589045189711/

One of the few times I wish still had a Facebook account.

PM sent.  I always am willing to share knowledge and compare notes.....and talk about scratchboxes.

greentrout

As I have accumulated more and more scratch boxes, I have found that I prefer more of what I call the shirt pocket style scratchers. The thinner bodied boxes sometimes without a top piece. Having said that, my favorite scratcher I have currently is a Cost style!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: greentrout on February 13, 2024, 10:15:34 PM
As I have accumulated more and more scratch boxes, I have found that I prefer more of what I call the shirt pocket style scratchers. The thinner bodied boxes sometimes without a top piece. Having said that, my favorite scratcher I have currently is a Cost style!
Get one from Anthony Ellis. He makes shirt pocket scratchers for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greentrout

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 13, 2024, 10:19:08 PM
Quote from: greentrout on February 13, 2024, 10:15:34 PM
Get one from Anthony Ellis. He makes shirt pocket scratchers for sure.

I may have already done just that.

limb_hanger

One of my favorite scratch boxes to date is by L&L and has this design ...I run it with one of Lonnie Gilbert's wide strikers. Birds seem to respond well to the call more so than others and the call is very reasonably priced.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

Waiting on my first scratch box from Kevin Kirkpatrick.  I listened to him play two on Facebook recently and I purchased the one that sounded good to me.  Can't wait to try it out. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

greentrout

Kevin's scratchers are very nice. I think you will be pleased!