turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box Call Market

Started by Greg Massey, January 31, 2024, 09:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I rotate interests myself.  I started out with pot calls and strikers, then trumpets, now box calls and push pins.  I've always used diaphragm calls as a cheap, easy-to-carry tool.  I just like turkey calls in general, especially those made with nice wood.  I guess my interest in box calls came at the right time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Yoder409

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 04, 2024, 07:18:15 AM
  I guess my interest in box calls came at the right time...

Yea.  It IS somewhat a buyer's market on boxes right now for some of the collectible stuff.....if a guy has the money to toss after them.   Some of the higher-end stuff won't be AS affected buy market swings.  Neil Cost and Gibson will always be Neil Cost and Gibson (even though they are down in price a bit, too).  But more common......yet still collectible stuff is on sale right now.25% - 30% off and more.   Lynches, for example.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tarheel

For years, I would never have gone into the turkey woods without one of my box calls; then I started hunting with a trumpet...then I decided to go back to my hunting roots to hunt with a scratchbox. My maternal grandfather only turkey hunted with a scratchbox and a wingbone, especially the scratchbox. On more than one occasion, my grandfather told me I only needed a good scratchbox. For the last 10 years, I have spent a considerable amount of time researching, designing and experimenting with scratchboxes. The more I work and play with scratchboxes, the less I have a desire to carry a box call in the turkey woods.  I have a boatpaddle long box and a short box that have proven themselves worthy of my confidence in them time and again; but I also have a couple of scratchboxes that a number of old mature longbeards could not resist these last 5-6 years. The last gobbler I killed was my heaviest and had the longest spurs in my 50+ years of turkey hunting. I really would like to kill at least a few more old gobblers like that again before the Lord takes me home. So I may be hunting a scratchbox....or scratchboxes...while my box calls are waiting in the truck.

Yoder409

I'll GLADLY re-home your orphaned box calls and paddle callers !!!    :toothy9:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Notsoyoungturk

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 04, 2024, 10:50:21 AM
I'll GLADLY re-home your orphaned box calls and paddle callers !!!    :toothy9:

Amen!!!
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Tarheel

The humble selflessness, thoughtfulness and kindness of several members of this group is overwhelming. My heart floods with emotion from the obvious self-sacrifice exhibited in their willingness to step-up to fill in for the fallen among the ranks of former box call toters.......... :TooFunny:
:thanks:  :lol: :thanks: :lol: :thanks: :lol:

Yoder409

Quote from: Tarheel on February 04, 2024, 03:23:47 PM
The humble selflessness, thoughtfulness and kindness of several members of this group is overwhelming. My heart floods with emotion from the obvious self-sacrifice exhibited in their willingness to step-up to fill in for the fallen among the ranks of former box call toters.......... :TooFunny:
:thanks:  :lol: :thanks: :lol: :thanks: :lol:

You know ME, buddy...........  Always, ALWAYS there to help a brother out.    :icon_thumright:

"Selflessness" is my middle name.    :toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

EZ

Quote from: paboxcall on January 31, 2024, 03:31:59 PM

If Dave Owens sat down with Ralph Snodgrass to get a YouTube lesson on running a long box, lists from the box call craftsmen would be 2+ years.

We sure would get a good show from two turkey killers!!!

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Tom007

Quote from: Bedge7767 on January 31, 2024, 06:40:07 PM
It just depends on the Box call.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I'll take it Jim  :turkey2:
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Yep.

A Lamar Widowmaker is a good'n !!!    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

Greg Massey

The market on calls fluctuates pretty much like everything else... For the most part the box call market is down a little as of now or just holding stable... Even Neil Cost calls are holding in price along with Gibson .... They could even be down a little in price couple hundred dollars  ... IMO

Bedge7767

Quote from: Tom007 on February 06, 2024, 06:37:26 AM
Quote from: Bedge7767 on January 31, 2024, 06:40:07 PM
It just depends on the Box call.

I'll take it Jim  :turkey2:

I better keep it.
Jim

Tribute Custom Calls

I am not nearly in the know as most of you guys as I don't do the social media thing and haven't been to National since 2008 (going this year though). But from what I have seen from competing in the Great Lakes show, donating to banquets and selling a few here and there......I think the box call market is slowed up becuase there isn't an Earl Mickel around. IMO that guy took custom calls to a whole new level. Granted there a lot of other guys that help elevate collecting, but ol'Earl sure was a charismatic son of gun! Just my humble 2 cents worth.
FYI....I stumbled across this site by pure accident and am really enjoying it https://oldgobbler.com/Forum/Smileys/classic/icon_thumright.gif
Share the knowledge and introduce somebody to the Outdoors

runngun

Welcome aboard!!! Glad to have you here!
Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.