OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box Call Market

Started by Greg Massey, January 31, 2024, 09:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Is the box call a thing of the past? Back just a few years ago before trumpets became so popular you were on a waiting list for several months / year or better hoping to hear that your name had come up on a list for the box call you were wanting build. I see more and more custom box call builders posting calls on a website they have in order to sell boxes, this didn't happen just a few years ago... So has the box call market become less desirable among turkey hunters?

Sir-diealot

Bud, it is that way in everything, years ago I bought some old furniture for a few hundred dollars and sold it for a few thousand. The guy took very good care of it and it is in the same condition, he tried to sell it a few months back and Noone would pay more than a thousand for it, the market just changed. I bought some oil lamps that would have cost me a few hundred dollars five 10 years ago they think I paid 35 or 65 for them this Summer.

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

There's been, over the decades, ebbs and flows with call trends..........or fads........or whatever you wanna call them.  The current one IS trumpet calls with tube calls bringing up second place, I think.   But the "latest, greatest" trend is really nothing new.

I think, probably, the BIGGEST contributing factor presently......and I'm just going off of published economic indicators.  NOT getting into any political debate......... is the Biden economy.   The average Joe 6-Pack (just like me) has a WHOLE LOT LESS disposable income for the last couple, three years than what he had previously.  So, while the tops of those 2-year waiting lists were getting whittled down......there weren't near as many orders coming in at the bottom.   I think guys got caught up and are now able to meet the slowed demand as it comes in.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

packmule

I'm not sure how it all plays out on the box call market in the future, but for folks that like box calls it's definitely a good time to be a buyer. Just look at the recent listings from SS calls, top shelf handmade calls of your choosing for $100-125! I recently jumped back on Steve Mann's list because he mentioned that he's down to around a 6 month turnaround now.  My first call I purchased from him was a little more than 2 years. 

Zobo

I definitely think the trumpet market has cut into the box call market. A hard to get trumpet is a major must have right now especially among the younger crowd that was never really exposed to yelpers much, pre pandemic. I know this first hand as the father of two younger turkey hunters.
      But I will always value, use and love a fine tuned box from any of the "modern" post Cost masters: Williams, Mann, Lapp, Watkins,  Fetters, Harwell, Camp, Snodgrass, Harrison, Dawkins, Mckamey, Basehore, Hudson, Shoemaker, Witter, Wittenberg, and some others I missed.
   Those who really know the turkey woods know how effective, reliable, unique and valuable the sound of a great long or short box can be.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

Quote from: packmule on January 31, 2024, 11:40:53 AM
I'm not sure how it all plays out on the box call market in the future, but for folks that like box calls it's definitely a good time to be a buyer. Just look at the recent listings from SS calls, top shelf handmade calls of your choosing for $100-125! I recently jumped back on Steve Mann's list because he mentioned that he's down to around a 6 month turnaround now.  My first call I purchased from him was a little more than 2 years.

He recently retired, so has more time to work on his list
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

capecodmike

Seems like a bit of a fad. 

I've been a turkey hunter maybe 15 years.  I am guessing the pot / scratch calls came first then boxes became the thing.

Then mouth calls, now trumpets.  If you've got a pair of bell bottoms keep them, they'll come back around.

Myself, I use my long box an awful lot cuz I like it and it seems to produce for me.  But I have pots, trumpets and a push pin in the vest and use them depending on the situation to vary my calling.

The box will always have a home in my vest.

Lcmacd 58

I agree .... its prolly just a fad .... when i started turkey hunting if you werent blowing a mouth call you werent turkey hunting....  ive concluded that you better be proficient at the various calls if you hunt turkeys. Every day is different. As far as box calls being a thing of the past ..... i hope everyone thinks that here in Illinois .... cause it'll make my turkey hunts alot easier .... :turkey2:

paboxcall

Quote from: Zobo on January 31, 2024, 12:19:10 PM
     I definitely think the trumpet market has cut into the box call market....Those who really know the turkey woods know how effective, reliable, unique and valuable the sound of a great long or short box can be.

If Dave Owens sat down with Ralph Snodgrass to get a YouTube lesson on running a long box, lists from the box call craftsmen would be 2+ years. Most would probably close their lists, and social media frenzy would drive the bidding of $750 or more for a beat up Quaker Boy boat paddle on ebay.

Box calls just aren't what the cool kids are using.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

Some good post, keep them coming

Bedge7767

It just depends on the Box call.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Jim

tal

Indeed it does Jim. It was good watching Mr. Lamar with it.  :)

3bailey3

That is a Awesome box Jim, I would buy those all day long, I just got my first Lamar box and just sold a really good one, so there is still a market for some good ones!

3bailey3

I see a few more nice boxes just sold on here, but so did a few trumpets!

Notsoyoungturk

Trumpets are the new girl in the red bikini that just showed up at the pool.  Everyone wants to be around her and talk to her.  I jumped on the bandwagon too.  Why?  1.) It is another deadly tool in our arsenal  2.)  It gives turkey hunters a fun, new call to play with and master in the off season while we are bored and thinking of turkeys.  3.)  It gives us something to collect again since we have maxed out on box calls, pot calls, scratch boxes, etc... (Admit it guys, we like calls!)

I am a box call guy.  I think they are works of art and great pieces of americana.  They are also still terribly effective when it comes to killing turkey. I never go to the woods without a long and short box.  They may not be the latest greatest but I don't think the great boxes from the classic makers will ever lose their place in our hearts and in our vests/satchels.

Once again, one man's opinion; it and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear