turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pressured Public Birds / Using Unique Calls

Started by cwhitfield96, January 30, 2024, 09:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwhitfield96

I definitely want to tag a bird but having fun is most important to me I love playing the game. Last season I killed a bird opening morning about 20 minutes into season. But the same trip second day I was with my buddy and we went to a new spot and found a hot bird around noon. He was across a river with a steep bottom. We worked him for a couple of hours including putting a move on him by going many hundreds of yards and crossing the river. We had him at 60+ just needed to be set up a little closer to get a shot. I would say I had more fun playing the chess game and getting close than shooting the one that came right in off the roost!

Muzzy61

I've had good luck with using a wing bone to birds that have had a steady diet of pot calls and mouth yelpers.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoder409

Learn the terrain.  Scout the gobbling birds.

IMHO......... it's more a matter of sounding like a hen and saying things a hen would say than it is what call you're using to say it with.   There's a very large portion of the folks hunting public ground (as well as private...) that just don't sound like a hen or say what a hen would say. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Kygobblergetter

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 14, 2024, 10:14:52 PM
Learn the terrain.  Scout the gobbling birds.

IMHO......... it's more a matter of sounding like a hen and saying things a hen would say than it is what call you're using to say it with.   There's a very large portion of the folks hunting public ground (as well as private...) that just don't sound like a hen or say what a hen would say.
This is very solid advice. I pretty much only use a mouth call. Many of the birds I've killed have been called to all season but I've learned what to say and how to say it.

Repositioning on birds is another tactic I'm using constantly. Many people preach patience but in my opinion a hen calling every 30 minutes from the same location is not natural. Sometimes he's willing to come to one location but not another. Often times when you find that location he will make you seem like the best caller in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Sometimes a gobbler is just not going to die that day regardless of what you do or the calls you use.  Changing up your approach and the calls you use is something all of us seasoned turkey hunts do in trying to be successful on pressured birds. If it's meant to be his faith that day more than likely and kind of a call would have worked in calling him to the gun... It's your job to do the rest / shoot ...  Never overlook the POWER OF ADRENALINE ...

quavers59

My only option is Crowded Public. Now is the time to Scout-( Boots on the ground).  Get some Boxes + Slates and take at least 4 total in. ALOT of Hunters on Public are staying right with the Mouth/Horseshoe  Calls. Use that to your advantage  and hit the Gobblers with some Box Calls.

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: quavers59 on February 23, 2024, 07:21:29 AM
    My only option is Crowded Public. Now i?s the time to Scout-( Boots on the ground).  Get some Boxes + Slates and take at least 4 total in. ALOT of Hunters on Public are staying right with the Mouth/Horseshoe  Calls. Use that to your advantage  and hit the Gobblers with some Box Calls.
+1