OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Old Mockingbird

Started by ccleroy, January 29, 2024, 03:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccleroy

Peculiar, direct, poetic, loyal, a man of integrity â?¦There are many words to describe Reverend Zach Farmer. Over the years we spoke of hunting but not as much as we did of everyone around us and how important they are to our daily life. We talked shop, well he talked shop, mostly I sat and listened trying to pick up as much as I could from someone whoâ??s turkey calls I was fascinated by. I admired his humility of how many people wanted those calls and persistence of perfection that went into making those instruments. He loved his wife and daughter and never missed an opportunity to tell stories or share pictures and poems he wrote to both. Zach touched many lives throughout his life, serving 26 churches throughout the state. He loved the outdoors, was perfectionist at all he did in the woods, and as successful/lucky as they come. The friends he had were abundant, and he always had a story to tell if you had the time to sit and listen. Iâ??ve never heard him say a crossed word about anyone, such a hard thing to find these days. One thing for certain, he is with the Lord our God and the love of his life Mrs Lee. These are a bunch of ramblings about an old man I knew and loved, Iâ??m not sure if they make sense to everyone as it's difficult to put into words all he was. All I know is that with everyone one of the older men in our lives that pass the world gets a little bit smaller. Don't take life or the people in it for granted, they are put here in your path for purpose.

https://youtu.be/WFPFXdT83ss?si=5LM4Gn9ymIf2VCB6

The Reverend Zach Farmer was born on June 24, 1938 in South Carolina, the son of the late Rev. Reuben Thomas Farmer and Almeta Talbert Farmer. He left this world on January 28, 2024 after fulfilling the most ideal life possible as the husband of the late Lee Cantley Farmer of Williamsburg County, SC and the father of Mary Farmer Branham and her husband, John, of Sevierville, Tennessee, and as a clergy member of South Carolina United Methodist Conference. He had the honor and privilege of being the pastor of 30 church congregations.
Funeral services will be held at 1:00 pm, Wednesday, January 31, 2024, at Providence United Methodist Church in Holly Hill, SC, with Rev. Rebecca Rowell officiating. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. The family will receive friends following the graveside service.
Memorials may be sent to Providence United Methodist Church, 4833 Old State Road, Holly Hill, SC 29059.
No matter what a man accomplishes, or how he uses his life, it will all someday be abbreviated in cold words upon a cold stone (if he was fortunate). Perhaps, sometimes, a passerby may stand at the Farmer grave plot in Providence United Methodist Church, Holly Hill, SC and thereon read the epitaph of a man called Zach.

Let this inscription be upon my stone,
When to God's final call my soul has gone;
No lasting work may he have done.
No crowns achieved, no honors won;
But with clear purpose all could see,
To God he gave his loyalty.
His life and love he gave to Lee.

EZ

Rest in Peace Rev. Zach.
You brought a whole other dimension to the turkey calling world.

nitro

Wonderful tribute to your friend and Mentor.

Most here don't know, but you were Zach's right hand man for long time. Giving him care and love when he truly needed some. From me and my family, thank you.

Rick, to your and you family, sorry for your loss. I know you will miss him deeply. Zach was my brother in Christ and friend too.  Your comment about the world being smaller is so true.

God speed Zach. Go rest high with Mrs. Lee by your side.
Royal Slam 2008

turkey stew

That was an awesome tribute to a very worthy man.

Zobo

That inscription is very moving.:cross2:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Austy

Rest in peace Rev Farmer.  To his family and friends I wish you all the best and know that he is in a better place now.

bwhana

Wishing peace and comfort to all his family and friends. The fact that those of us that were not fortunate enough to know him are moved and saddened by his loss is further testament to what a good man he was.

To the OP, your words are much appreciated. I can't say it any better than you..."All I know is that with everyone one of the older men in our lives that pass the world gets a little bit smaller."

Tarheel

In the early 1980s, Neil Cost telephoned to tell me he had just met a Methodist preacher named Zach Farmer who turkey hunted and made trumpet yelpers. Neil was very impressed with Zach's trumpet yelper and calling ability; and knowing I very much liked trumpet yelpers, he immediately called me to highly recommended I contact Reverend Zach and get him to make one for me. With respect for Neil's recommendation, I immediately called Reverend Zach, introduced myself, and ordered 3 trumpet yelpers for myself and 2 sons. I made a number of turkey hunting trips to SC over the years; and when it was convenient, I always tried to include a visit with Reverend Zach and his lovely wife.  I very much enjoyed the visits, the correspondence and telephone conversations with both him and his wife during the many years of friendship. Unfortunately, my home was burglarized in 2010, and I lost the 3 trumpet yelpers Reverend Zach made for me.  My sincere condolences to the Farmer family, but I celebrate Reverend Farmer's life and homegoing.  I know today he is now with his Lord and Savior....and his lovely wife.  And I also know, I will see Reverend Farmer again.

davisd9

Not all heroes wear capes. Being from SC, a turkey hunter, and a trumpet call user, it is hard not to have looked up to the Reverend. I never met him but did have a 15 minute phone conversation with him and that is a conversation I will always cherish. I told him if he knew how much I studied him and tried learning from him he would probably take a restraining order on me. He was a man that dedicated his life to sharing the message of Christ, he was a loving, loyal husband and great father, he was given the ability to teach, God blessed with the ability to make an instrument to pursue the game we love, and he was a turkey killing machine. I am so glad I had that 15 minutes to share with him what he meant to me as a SC, trumpet hunting turkey hunter. Thankfully I will have a small piece to honor him with in the spring woods. I will look for him in Glory!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

nitro

Quote from: Tarheel on January 29, 2024, 09:27:19 PM
In the early 1980s, Neil Cost telephoned to tell me he had just met a Methodist preacher named Zach Farmer who turkey hunted and made trumpet yelpers. Neil was very impressed with Zach's trumpet yelper and calling ability; and knowing I very much liked trumpet yelpers, he immediately called me to highly recommended I contact Reverend Zach and get him to make one for me. With respect for Neil's recommendation, I immediately called Reverend Zach, introduced myself, and ordered 3 trumpet yelpers for myself and 2 sons. I made a number of turkey hunting trips to SC over the years; and when it was convenient, I always tried to include a visit with Reverend Zach and his lovely wife.  I very much enjoyed the visits, the correspondence and telephone conversations with both him and his wife during the many years of friendship. Unfortunately, my home was burglarized in 2010, and I lost the 3 trumpet yelpers Reverend Zach made for me.  My sincere condolences to the Farmer family, but I celebrate Reverend Farmer's life and homegoing.  I know today he is now with his Lord and Savior....and his lovely wife.  And I also know, I will see Reverend Farmer again.

Very kind of you to write this. 

I was lucky (honored ) to know Zach as a friend.  He was a very kind man indeed. I have called up many Gobblers with my Farmer , and plan to in '24 as a small way to honor his legacy. I will miss hearing his voice. Unique as the man himself.
Royal Slam 2008