turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Walnut - man I miss hunting

Started by Brinkcalls, January 27, 2024, 09:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brinkcalls

Every time I look at my calls or what I've made for others. It brings back memories of huntin, family, life... God willing, I'll get to enjoy more with time. Spring is coming... bask in the moments... The memories... We're off to make more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I hope I have missed something and you are alright, I lost hunting for 15 years before I got it back, I hope you return to it soon. Hoping I can hunt this year, foot may not let me this year, hoping I can do it in a limited amount on crutches if nothing else. May have lost my only hunting spot,  it will be over for me if I have most likely.

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Brinkcalls

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 27, 2024, 09:47:24 PM
I hope I have missed something and you are alright, I lost hunting for 15 years before I got it back, I hope you return to it soon. Hoping I can hunt this year, foot may not let me this year, hoping I can do it in a limited amount on crutches if nothing else. May have lost my only hunting spot,  it will be over for me if I have most likely.

I'm all good sir, life just makes ya think about stuff.
I am blessed with a lot of things and I probably take a lot of it for granted. It's hard hearing others struggling, especially hunting struggles such as yours. It's something we enjoy and brings us maybe more satisfaction than a lot else. I hope you heal up and keep your spot.

runngun

You are right about that. These days it does not take much to take for me to take a trip down a back road. What I mean is a little trip back in time. To a simpler place and time. Back to hunting with folks who ain't with us no more. Hunting with my Daddy and his brothers, whether we were hunting deer, squirrel, or shooting wood ducks in a Cypress Swamp. Running beagles chasing rabbits. Some folks say, "If I could only go back". You can, all you gotta do is close your eyes and be still. Sometimes just a little something I see, hear or smell can kick it off. Seems like the older I get the less it takes. That alone makes me want to get out, get in gear, even though now might be low gear and make some more memories!!!
Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Brinkcalls on January 27, 2024, 09:54:22 PM

I'm all good sir, life just makes ya think about stuff.
I am blessed with a lot of things and I probably take a lot of it for granted. It's hard hearing others struggling, especially hunting struggles such as yours. It's something we enjoy and brings us maybe more satisfaction than a lot else. I hope you heal up and keep your spot.

Bud I have said this on this site before and I will say it again, when I had my car accident and could not hunt all those years I begged God to let me come back and get just one mature tom, he gave me that one mature tom which was my first turkey ever. If I never get another one he has fulfilled my wish. I have had the chance to shoot mature ones the last two years but truth be told I had a hard time cleaning that first one, it caused me all kinds of pain and if I can't clean a critter the right way I am not going to take them, that is why I shot them with the camera instead. I did really want to get that copper colored one two years ago but since then other than to practice holding the sights on them with my shooting stick I have not lifted the gun up with serious intent to shoot, the few times I either had something to do and would not have been able to clean it quick enough to get home and get cleaned up, it was super hot out and I was not sure I was good enough to clean one before the meat spoiled or I was just in to much pain to be bothered with cleaning one.

I don't care if I get another one, I just need to be out there with them and that is all that matters to me. I just need to be near them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bowguy

Brother set your mind to accept nothing less than you're going. If I can and only for example... After my brain surgery I couldn't walk too good. I used hiking sticks like canes, started way early and hiked to a tree, tied my sticks to stand and went up. Turkey hunting that year I couldn't  stand on any steep grades especially in the dark with my balance issues. I hunted alone and often up steep hills. I crawled onto the ridges so I'd not fall. I was successful in both ventures. My old neighbor always qualifies things saying persistence is higher than intelligence.
Set your mind and go get em. You lost one spot, find another, not to make light but you lose a foot, I'd personally hop or crawl to my set. Don't take that as unfeeling. I'm not. I want you to persevere. Be safe in doing so but Good luck in your season

runngun

Bowguy: Man you are exactly right!!! Time is not always kind, we have to make each second count. Through weather or physical limitations. I don't like the word disability. I have had numerous surgeries, 2 C-Spine fusions, 2 low back fusions, torn tendon left wrist, labrum tear left shoulder,torn acl left knee. Not to mention one doctor screwed my right hand up pretty bad. Supposed to have fixed Dupetrens, and carpel tunnel. Kept going to physical therapy for months and months. Therapist called doctor because it was staying cold and my pinky was stiff. Doctor refused to look at it again, so on the advice of Therapist I went to another micro surgeon. 2nd surgery he found the problem, aneurysm in guyes canal which happened in 1st surgery. 2nd doctor ties off aneurysm shoved in my forearm now. Still had issues with pinky finger, crooked and will not bend. 3rd surgery 2nd doctor tried to straighten the pinky with pins. But as soon as he took pins out right back crooked and stiff.
1st doctor knew that I was a hunter and knew what I did for a living (law enforcement officer) he said that  I CAUSED THE ANEURYSM WITH MY SHOOTING HANDGUN. I LOOKED HIM STRAIGHT INTO HIS EYES AND TOLD HIM THAT I AM LEFT HANDED!!! LAST TIME I SAW HIM HE WAS JUST STARING AT THE FLOOR!!!! I have been trying to talk my doctor into just cutting off the pinky, it's not of use stays cold and it hurts like heck if I bump it.
I have heard my Daddy (75) say that as long as he's breathing He will be on the River and in the Swamp hunting and fishing. I WILL BE HUNTING SOMEWHERE, SOMEHOW!!! YOU HAVE TO PRESS FORWARD!!! SO I JUST HIKE UP MY BRITCHES SLIP ON MY BOOTS AND GET GONE!!!!
SORRY FOR GETTING CARRIED AWAY WITH MY WRITING.
Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Bowguy

That's the way to go buddy. Stay focused on what you wanna do. Everything else is just an obstacle to get past. An old man told me once life is a series of adjustments. So we adjust. God bless ya