Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is there a diaphragm that will do it All?

Started by bbcoach, January 26, 2024, 12:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runngun

Exactly the same here!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: bbcoach on March 04, 2024, 05:22:36 PM
Thanks Scott. I am a center airflow guy and I found my GO TO last spring.  It is a modified ghost cut with low stretch and it does everything.  I've been putting tons of time practicing and I'm getting really comfortable with All of the vocalizations with this one call.

I've watched all of Scott's videos and they have helped immensely.  I actually knew I was a center airflow guy several years ago and only used split v and ghost cuts but it wasn't until last spring that I started using low stretch that everything came together.  I hope this thread helps others look at the stretch they are using.
That's super interesting!. I've never played around with stretch before!. Do you recommend someone that will do calls like that?. The "boutique" guys I buy from have quality stuff but I've never heard either of them mention offering to change the stretch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 05, 2024, 10:17:52 AM
Thanks Scott. I am a center airflow guy and I found my GO TO last spring.  It is a modified ghost cut with low stretch and it does everything.  I've been putting tons of time practicing and I'm getting really comfortable with All of the vocalizations with this one call.

I've watched all of Scott's videos and they have helped immensely.  I actually knew I was a center airflow guy several years ago and only used split v and ghost cuts but it wasn't until last spring that I started using low stretch that everything came together.  I hope this thread helps others look at the stretch they are using.
That's super interesting!. I've never played around with stretch before!. Do you recommend someone that will do calls like that?. The "boutique" guys I buy from have quality stuff but I've never heard either of them mention offering to change the stretch

Scott, I sent you a PM

runngun

Sadler McGraw will send you a handful of ones with different stretching.  He sent me some different ones for a friend of mine.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: runngun on March 05, 2024, 01:19:43 PM

Sadler McGraw will send you a handful of ones with different stretching.  He sent me some different ones for a friend of mine.

Sent you a message

bbcoach

Scott, I believe Sadler makes a ghost cut called the Judge and Jury that is a Great call.  Since you are a center air flow guy, you may want to check Sadler out as well.  If he can change the stretch tension, that may help you.

eggshell

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on February 11, 2024, 07:38:53 AM
I do have a ghost cut that will do it all for me. It's a small local call builder that I don't know but is a friend of a friend. I get a few of them every year for free. This will be year 6 running his calls and every bird I have killed in those 6 years has been killed with that ghost cut. Minus a couple trumpet birds. I bend all of my calls slightly to "tune" them to my liking. Especially if I try a new call and don't love it. I'll start bending to get a better fit in my mouth and add or reduce tension. I haven't seen anybody else do this but it makes a huge difference in getting a good seal. I've gotten to where I can keep the same sound and just make the call fit my mouth better or I can change the sound fairly significantly to my liking.

I have always tuned my calls by bending them. I thought everyone done this,but I never asked anyone. Your darn tootin right it makes a difference. It often takes me 20 minutes or more to tune a call. I have taken calls that I would throw away out of the package and tuned them into good calls. Sometimes it takes a new cut, if anything I am in the camp a lot of mouth calls are too tight. I take a new call and place it on my thumb and push it up into my pallet and then tweak it with side bends form there. I can get most to play the way I want. Most calls also come built too large with the tape for me. I trim 95% of them. I have found very few that are in tune out of the box. I can honestly say gooserbat calls usually play pretty well right out of the package and most woodhavens play well but need a bit of trimming and tuning.

compton30

Being able to make all the turkey sounds on a mouth call is a learned skill.

The question then becomes, "Can that one mouth call make the absolute best version of each sound?"

Watch the Grand Nationals. Those guys are the absolute cream of the crop. They are always swapping calls between scenarios and even within the scenario. The answer to why is obvious. But that's what makes my curious mind love to build them. "What if I try this?"

If anyone were to figure it out, my money would be on Mr. Gulvas. So it doesn't surprise me to hear others say that. That man loves turkeys in a way that supercedes most anyone I know.

bbcoach

The question then becomes, "Can that one mouth call make the absolute best version of each sound?"

To me, this is completely Subjective.  These Calling Contests are started by humans, entered by humans and judged by humans of what their perception of what a turkey sound like.  Each one of us has our own bias of what a turkey sounds like and that is why there are so many variations of calls today.  Most of these Champions are humbled, when hunting, just as much as the novices.

I'll agree with this statement to a point.  Over the past 10 years, I have bought plenty of mouth calls both production and custom and I for one, just as you have stated about Calling Contestants, have had to change calls to achieve certain sounds (should this be the norm?) (how do we know these Contestants calls aren't modified just for the contest or contestant?).  But the one thing that has blown my mind is when I changed to a low/light stretch call, from 2 different manufacturers, this one change allowed everything to come together.  ALL of the vocalizations are so much easier to obtain and control now due to being able to control the airflow over the call from my diaphragm.  Maybe I'm the idiot here but being able to control the right amount of airflow for soft calls like purring, bubble clucks, feeding calls, whines and whistles wasn't there with the tighter stretched calls.  Feedback and education are a GREAT thing IMO, so maybe my finite mind just isn't grasping this concept.  I would Love to hear more on this subject from Everyone!   

compton30

Quote from: bbcoach on March 07, 2024, 12:38:48 PM

To me, this is completely Subjective.  These Calling Contests are started by humans, entered by humans and judged by humans of what their perception of what a turkey sound like.  Each one of us has our own bias of what a turkey sounds like and that is why there are so many variations of calls today.  Most of these Champions are humbled, when hunting, just as much as the novices.

I'll agree with this statement to a point.  Over the past 10 years, I have bought plenty of mouth calls both production and custom and I for one, just as you have stated about Calling Contestants, have had to change calls to achieve certain sounds (should this be the norm?) (how do we know these Contestants calls aren't modified just for the contest or contestant?).  But the one thing that has blown my mind is when I changed to a low/light stretch call, from 2 different manufacturers, this one change allowed everything to come together.  ALL of the vocalizations are so much easier to obtain and control now due to being able to control the airflow over the call from my diaphragm.  Maybe I'm the idiot here but being able to control the right amount of airflow for soft calls like purring, bubble clucks, feeding calls, whines and whistles wasn't there with the tighter stretched calls.  Feedback and education are a GREAT thing IMO, so maybe my finite mind just isn't grasping this concept.  I would Love to hear more on this subject from Everyone!

Of course I agree that it's all subjective. But we haven't figured out a way to bridge the language barrier between English and Turkeys to get their 2ยข. Until we get that sorted, it's all we can really go off. If those guys don't sound like a turkey than what the hell is my backwater butt doing ????

As far as the lighter stretch/lighter material calls, I think all people learning to use a mouth yelper should look for calls of that nature when they're beginning. Easier to get sounds with less pressure and you learn how to manipulate your tongue, jaw, throat, and lips to make the desired sound more easily. If it's already giving you what you want? Boom. Calling with confidence is hugely important.

Should it be normal to switch calls to make sounds:

In my experience, nope. I can make any sound necessary on a call for hunting purposes. That's just practicing a lot on a zillion variations of yelpers over the years. Are they the best version of every sound? Absolutely not, but turkeys are much more generous with their "grading" than a human being is.

bbcoach

vt35mag

Quote from: Canadian on January 27, 2024, 01:30:32 AM
I'm with Gooserbat on the Gulvas style calls. Its all I run, and I can do everything on just one call. I primarily run a Gulvas masters choice, which is a 2.5 reed, no cuts. I will say though, they are a very tough call to figure out, and actually run properly. With a Gulvas call, there is no tongue movement at all, and the call is controlled from your diaphragm, up to your throat. When you hit it good, it literally 'feels' as though the sound is coming straight from your own voice box! Everything comes from deep down, and you use way less air than typical store bought calls. If you put your hand in front of your mouth, and talk, it will give you a good idea of how little air that the Gulvas calls require. Again, they are very challenging, but VERY worth it in my opinion. The more time I spend on them, the more I'm blown away by their versatility. Im sure there are other calls out there that can do it all aswell, so I'm merely sharing my own experience, which is only really with Gulvas calls. I honestly probably couldnt even run anything different if I tried... But also don't want to anyways...

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

I typically make my own, but I bought several Gulvas calls to try.  I am far from having it down, but the times I do get it right I like what I hear!  Definitely challenging.