OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington Nitro

Started by Gman, January 25, 2024, 01:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman

Has anyone had any luck with good patterns from the 3" Remington Nitro Magnum #5 shot out of a 20 gauge?

Jordan121787

I have! Shot pretty good. Better than the longbeard #5s and the double x number 5s

runngun

I have tried them, and my patterns were TERRIBLE in my 870 with Indian Creek 562. I wouldn't shoot them at crows. However I have heard of folks who said they did well in their guns, but I have not seen it myself.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Gman

I appreciate the feedback. I found a couple of boxes at the local pawn shop & figured that I'll give them a try on the patterning board.

Vintage

I used them for years with no problem. Before TSS.

Bowguy

Imo almost any shell except Hornady would be better

Gman

Quote from: Bowguy on January 27, 2024, 08:39:21 PM

Really, they are that bad? I didn't buy them yet from the pawn shop, I was just curious if they would work well out of my Montefeltro with a .565 or a .575 Trulock tube. They were $15 for 10 shells.

Vintage

I used them for fifteen years and never had a problem with them. For fifteen dollars give them a try and you make your own decision.

Bowguy

Quote from: Gman on January 28, 2024, 11:46:52 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on January 27, 2024, 08:39:21 PM

Really, they are that bad? I didn't buy them yet from the pawn shop, I was just curious if they would work well out of my Montefeltro with a .565 or a .575 Trulock tube. They were $15 for 10 shells.
They're  pretty bad. Wondering if guys say they've used em actually compared them to anything else? My buddy uses the Hornady for a long time too but never compares them and you can't tell him they're bad either. He shoots close so if that's your intent a pheasant load could work too. But as Vintage said it's only 15 bucks. 

Muzzy61

I've used them in 12 gauge awhile back. No issues.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gman

I bought a box of 10 today. I figure, what the heck it's only $15 & if they don't pattern well, they will be a good shell for home defense.

Teamblue

I have a box i will try with my 870 20 gauge. I'll post how they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: Muzzy61 on January 30, 2024, 01:01:51 PM
I've used them in 12 gauge awhile back. No issues.
Hope my response didn't come off incorrectly. I have never seen issues like failure to cycle, gire, etc
Was the patterning was never the best. Remington premiers were always better

eggshell

I shot them for years in my 12 gauge. I'm not sure what the choke is I think the tube said extra full. I killed a bunch of birds with it, but I shoot mine pretty close. I have patterned them and I have seen better, but at 30 yards they were very good, but seemed not to hold well out at 40+. I think the thing to remember is every gun is different and one hunter's bad is someone else's good. You just need to shoot them in your gun. My buddy swears by longbeards and his pattern is great, but longbeards absolutely blow up the pattern in my gun. I wouldn't shoot a bird over 25 yards with longbeards, out of my gun. So this is a question that I think is unanswerable from us to you. I have blown up hundreds of dollars on shells I found out I would never hunt with.  It's the cost of being an efficient turkey hunter.

Gman

Quote from: eggshell on February 02, 2024, 12:13:10 PM
I shot them for years in my 12 gauge. I'm not sure what the choke is I think the tube said extra full. I killed a bunch of birds with it, but I shoot mine pretty close. I have patterned them and I have seen better, but at 30 yards they were very good, but seemed not to hold well out at 40+. I think the thing to remember is every gun is different and one hunter's bad is someone else's good. You just need to shoot them in your gun. My buddy swears by longbeards and his pattern is great, but longbeards absolutely blow up the pattern in my gun. I wouldn't shoot a bird over 25 yards with longbeards, out of my gun. So this is a question that I think is unanswerable from us to you. I have blown up hundreds of dollars on shells I found out I would never hunt with.  It's the cost of being an efficient turkey hunter.

Copy that. Like I said for the price I paid, I'm gonna' give them a try on the pattern board. I have a couple of Trulocks to try them thru. A .565 and a .575.