North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Getting Close

Started by zelmo1, January 25, 2024, 06:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Quote from: eggshell on January 26, 2024, 04:49:36 PM
I up before dawn and running Maple sap to the sugar shack and firing up the evaporator by 8:00 most days. These mornings are almost as busy as turkey season for us syrup makers.

How many taps are you running, Mr. Eggo, sir ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

eggshell

Yoder, I decided last year it was time to slow up. I currently have between 140 and 150 (lost count ) taps. They are all on tubing. I'm just a small hobby producer. i have about 300-400 I can tap, but these give me all I want to do. I am running a Smokey Lake drop flue evaporator and I don't Reverse Osmosis my sap. I guess I am kind of old school. I make about 15 to 20 gallons of syrup a year and quit when I am tired of doing it. I used to make as much as I could and sell, but I don't sell anymore. I got plenty of takers for free....LOL. I just like blessing my family and friends with it. The FDA and ag inspectors just wanted more and more upgrades to my shack and I decided I didn't want to spend anymore money, it's all paid for. So I make it and give it away and they can shove it where the sun don't shine. Do you make syrup?

Yoder409

I made some recreationally about 20 years ago.......just to see if I could.  Hand brace and auger bit......hand-cut pex spiles.......lidded 5 gallon buckets.   Maybe ran 30 or 40 taps.

Now, I let my uncle and a good friend tap on our property.  They run 300-400 taps, which is hardly even the tip of the iceberg to what's available to them, there.    Wood fired evap.  My uncle home built (yep....in his garage) the R.O. they're using.  I get more syrup, this way....for FREE....than when I worked at it myself.     :toothy9: :toothy9:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

eggshell

good for you Yoder. Right now its not been a great season, but prime flows should be ahead. I hope they have a good season. This keeps me busy in the winter months, but it gets a little tougher as I approach the big 70

Yoder409

This big warm-up we've had, at least, oughta make for some good tubing-stringin' weather for those guys.

Gonna take some freezing nights to get the run going, I think.  Forecast says they better get their runs  strung up in the next few days.  Looks like some prime running comin' up.
PA elitist since 1979

Zobo

"Gentlemen" I don't want to do it, believe me, I've been holding off, but I feel it's incumbent upon me now to join or start a team in order to teach you folks a thing or two about wit, wisdom and successful turkey hunting in general.
         I am willing to couch my humble, lovable nature, how I was raised, in order to give this needed gift to this "great" contest. It is a sacrifice I'm now begrudgingly willing to make for the
common good. :agreed:  :agreed:  :agreed:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Happy

Zobo, this is not the time nor place to be humble and polite. This is the time to embellish, exaggerate, and outright lie.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on January 29, 2024, 12:32:24 PM
Zobo, this is not the time nor place to be humble and polite. This is the time to embellish, exaggerate, and outright lie.

Appreciate ya, brother Z, BUT.............. The moment you become "Team ______ " ANYTHING other than a Killer B ......... your honeymoon is O-V-E-R, OVER.   You will be subject to the chafing wit of yours truly......same as the REST of these washed-up, miscreant wannabe's.    :z-guntootsmiley:   

Roll up your pants.  It's too late to save your shoes.   :toothy12:

Let us all know how 2nd place looks from the couch.   :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

Kygobblergetter

This is what I've been waiting for! Some birds were gobbling a couple mornings ago while I was duck hunting and I couldn't hardly take it! Springs coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Chaffing Wit? . See what I told you about outright lies, zobo? Thank goodness us GOATS only have to mildly embellish the truth to have a riveting story. Of course, when you have assembled such a rugged, good-looking, suave, sophisticated, and deadly group such as what we have, it's safe to assume the other teams will do everything they can to try and compete.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 29, 2024, 12:59:31 PM
Quote from: Happy on January 29, 2024, 12:32:24 PM

Let us all know how 2nd place looks from the couch.   :TooFunny:

I'm more of a lounge chair or Lazyboy kinda guy. Filling my tags so quickly and efficiently allows me the latitude of some extra free time to relax. But I do appreciate your confidence in my second place finish, even if it is off the mark just a bit. :icon_thumright:

How's that Happy, a little more like it?

Happy

You sir, have potential.

Zobo

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on January 29, 2024, 08:04:19 PM
Quote from: Happy on January 29, 2024, 07:59:25 PM
You sir, have potential.

:TooFunny::TooFunny::TooFunny:

As a comedian..........    :toothy9:

Your potential as a winning team member........... ??    Maybe.   If The Killer B's drop out.   :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 30, 2024, 06:21:32 AM
Quote from: Zobo on January 29, 2024, 08:04:19 PM
Quote from: Happy on January 29, 2024, 07:59:25 PM
Maybe.   If The Killer B's drop out.   :TooFunny:

Well at least I got a maybe, I'll take it!

Been working on a new team name, let me know what you think:

-The Bee Keepers
-The Strut Stopper's Stoppers
-Team Cohesive Flock
-The Roaring 12's
-Team GOAT Stew
-The Bannerhangers

I kinda like the ring of some of these names!