turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scratchers sounding goosey

Started by shatcher, January 24, 2024, 05:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatcher

Purrs and clucks are great.  Yelps can sound like a goose on the back end.  Suggestions?  Thank you all.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

shatcher

Quote from: paboxcall on January 24, 2024, 06:45:42 PM
Crack in the soundboard?
I don't think so.  Al Shoemaker said to hold both the striker and the scratcher tighter.  That may be part of my problem.

greentrout

How are you holding the scratcher? If your fingers are down on the soundboard or chamber it will sound off.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

shatcher

Quote from: greentrout on January 24, 2024, 07:58:06 PM
How are you holding the scratcher? If your fingers are down on the soundboard or chamber it will sound off.
Upper corner

Candyman

Use some rain chalk instead of chalk and I think you will be happy. It sounds good on my scratchers from Al.

Bowguy

Why don't you post a video of you running it and that might help fellows guide you

runngun

I have always used chalk that says "WAX FREE".  The only colors that I have used is a funky orange color and blue. It last a long time. 

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

shatcher

Quote from: runngun on January 31, 2024, 04:41:08 PM
I have always used chalk that says "WAX FREE".  The only colors that I have used is a funky orange color and blue. It last a long time. 

Is that the half moon variety?

runngun

I believe that you are correct!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

greentrout

It is the striker that came with the call correct? Has it done this always or just recently?
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Alabama556

I have found the rounded strikers that come with the super yelper scratch boxes sound better to my ear than the flat strikers.

You can order them from super yelper for cheap.

And yes try different wax free chalk.

Ranman

Quote from: Alabama556 on February 17, 2024, 10:04:19 AM
I have found the rounded strikers that come with the super yelper scratch boxes sound better to my ear than the flat strikers.

You can order them from super yelper for cheap.

And yes try different wax free chalk.

Agree, the strikers from Mr. Shively  work well with most all of my scratch boxes, and I prefer the blue carpenter chalk, the semicircle one..