OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth Call Difference

Started by falconiii, January 22, 2024, 12:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconiii

Is there a real difference between brands? Between cheap calls and higher dollar ones?  I got a sack of home made calls from a friend, he'd sell them for a couple dollars. Sounds as good as a brand name. To someone with a better ear, is there a difference?

Jfowler82

Mouth calls differ from person to person. I would say it doesn't matter the cost if it sounds like a turkey you're good to go . Just because a particular call is more expensive doesn't make it better . It's not the arrow it's the Indian !

GobbleNut

Quote from: Jfowler82 on January 22, 2024, 05:49:06 AM
Mouth calls differ from person to person. I would say it doesn't matter the cost if it sounds like a turkey you're good to go . Just because a particular call is more expensive doesn't make it better . It's not the arrow it's the Indian !

Perfect summary.  Mouth calls are inexpensive to make (materials needed for a call are quite a bit less than a dollar and the time involved in making a call is, at most, a few minutes).  For the commercial call makers, much of the cost is in the packaging and marketing rather than the cost of the call itself.  Calls themselves are inexpensive,...being competitive as a call maker on a mass scale is not. 

Now, regarding the "It's not the arrow, it's the indian" comment from jfowler, that is the perfect analogy, as well. For the call user, one of the main variables in the quality of sound someone is able to produce is quite often based on their experience with using mouth calls.  A beginner is seldom able to produce realistic sounds on ANY mouth call,...and conversely, an experienced mouth call user can take just about any mouth call and manipulate his tongue placement and air flow to make that call sound like a turkey.  While it is true that some call designs fit some call users better than others, quality sounds from any call design is, to some degree, just a matter of practice and experience using mouth calls. 

For a new mouth call user, I think far too often they think that all that matters is finding the right call design/manufacturer and they should be able to sound like a turkey.  Until someone has actually learned how to manipulate sound with a call (which most often is just a function of LOTS of practice), randomly buying mouth calls (at whatever cost) is just a waste of time and money. 

PharmHunter

Quote from: Jfowler82 on January 22, 2024, 05:49:06 AM

This.

EZ

Mouth calls are very personal. Everyone's mouth, tongue, palate is different as well as their technique.
If you go to all the Grand National calling contestant, they ALL run something different.

Yoder409

HERE'S the difference:

About 8-9 years ago I was in WallyWorld and grabbed up 3 or 4 different diaphragms to try.  One, in particular, just screamed for me.  Perfect fit to my palate and calling style.   It was a Flextone Michael Waddell "something or another".  Forget the name.  Ran it that season and did fantastic.  So I don't wanna be without this call.  I'm the guy who finds something that works......buys a lifetime supply.......and doesn't change.  Had Momma get on eBay or Amazon or somewhere and she found me a deal on a 3 pack of that call.   When they got here, I pulled one out and ran it.  Garbage !!  Nothing like the first one.  in the trash.  Second one.......in the trash.  Third one......you guessed it.   The entire 3-pack was garbage.  No resemblance to the first one I tried.

So, I happened to buy a diaphragm from Sam (Gooserbat) here on the forums.  2X or 3X the pricetag of the Flextone.  The call was a fit !!  So I ordered 2 more.  Same identical thing as the first.  Now.......7-8 years later...... I have YET to get a call from Sam that was ANYTHING but a carbon copy of the very first.

CONSISTENCY from call to call is your difference !!!!!

I'm sure there are other guys who are consistent in their builds.  Just sayin' that Gooserbat calls are DEFINITELY on that list.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tnandy

Everyone spot on and Yoder409 nailed it on the head. I bought one particular mouth call from a well known seller, and it was money. After it fizzled out, bought another one and it was no good. I am a firm believer that you have to find what it best for you. Shane Simpson has a video on Mouth Calling Mechanics that helped me quit wasting money on great calls for other guys and narrow down which "cut" suits me best. With that being said, at least now i dont buy but around 2 certain cuts. Thats my 2cents and it has worked out great for me

Gooserbat

Consistency is the difference.  Find a boutique call maker that is willing to hold themselves to the highest standard and they will build the best calls.  I will beat my own drum and say I do build some of the best calls but I'm also going to tell you I'm not alone.  There is some great mouth call makers who I'd have no issues running their stuff. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 22, 2024, 11:04:05 AM
About 8-9 years ago I was in WallyWorld and grabbed up 3 or 4 different diaphragms to try.  One, in particular, just screamed for me.  Perfect fit to my palate and calling style.   It was a Flextone Michael Waddell "something or another".  Forget the name.  Ran it that season and did fantastic.  So I don't wanna be without this call.  I'm the guy who finds something that works......buys a lifetime supply.......and doesn't change.  Had Momma get on eBay or Amazon or somewhere and she found me a deal on a 3 pack of that call.   When they got here, I pulled one out and ran it.  Garbage !!  Nothing like the first one.  in the trash.  Second one.......in the trash.  Third one......you guessed it.   The entire 3-pack was garbage.  No resemblance to the first one I tried.

Here is my (sincere) word of advice for anybody buying mouth calls:  For whatever reason, folks seem to believe that mouth calls cannot be "tuned".  Like Yoder indicated on his experience, many folks just believe that if a call does not work "right out of the box", that it is no good...and they just trash the call.  My advice is...Don't Ever Do That!...without first trying to tune the call by modifying the cut design. 

Simply taking a pair of scissors and making ever-so slight modifications (and sometimes more significant ones) can turn a "sow's ear" mouth call into a real keeper.  NEVER throw a call away without trying to tune it first!   Yes, you may try everything to make a call sound better and still end up tossing it, but always start with the mind-set that there is a turkey in every call somewhere.  You just have to find it!   :icon_thumright:

Yoder409

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 26, 2024, 09:08:14 AM

Here is my (sincere) word of advice for anybody buying mouth calls:  For whatever reason, folks seem to believe that mouth calls cannot be "tuned".  Like Yoder indicated on his experience, many folks just believe that if a call does not work "right out of the box", that it is no good...and they just trash the call.  My advice is...Don't Ever Do That!...without first trying to tune the call by modifying the cut design. 

Simply taking a pair of scissors and making ever-so slight modifications (and sometimes more significant ones) can turn a "sow's ear" mouth call into a real keeper.  NEVER throw a call away without trying to tune it first!   Yes, you may try everything to make a call sound better and still end up tossing it, but always start with the mind-set that there is a turkey in every call somewhere.  You just have to find it!   :icon_thumright:

Good advice..........except when there's serious and irreparable issues with reed tension.

The Flextones I chucked in the garbage.......all 3 of them........looked like Ruffles potato chips after my first trial run of them.  They were TOTAL junk and, in tossing them in the trash, I tuned them the most appropriate way possible.

Agreed that if a call has a good reed stretch, it MAY be able to be salvaged.

I don't have to deal with those issues with the calls I'm using now.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Ihuntoldschool

No difference.  Just depends on the # reeds, cut, how the calls fit you.

Just different manufacturers have different profit margins.
As stated Indian not Arrow.

Truth is most of the "production" calls as they call them are built by top pros. Chris Parrish as an example builds hundreds of thousands a year for multiple brands.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 16, 2024, 03:13:00 PM
No difference.  Just depends on the # reeds, cut, how the calls fit you.

Just different manufacturers have different profit margins.
As stated Indian not Arrow.

Truth is most of the "production" calls as they call them are built by top pros. Chris Parrish as an example builds hundreds of thousands a year for multiple brands.

True on all counts. 
Additional comments:  "Reeds, cut, and fit" are important, but so are reed spacing, reed tension, and probably most important for most folks is the thickness of the latex used in the call and how that latex is "stretched" in relation to its thickness. 

It is no coincidence that the "top pros" end up making and selling calls. There is a clear association between guys that are really good callers and the perception by your average mouth call user that thinks..."if I just get the same kind of call that this person (top caller) uses, I will be able to sound that good".  Nothing could be further from the truth. 

Simply stated, anybody that wants to be good with a mouth call HAS to "put in the work" to do that.  That work includes practice, practice, practice...and then matching your individual calling mechanics with the right mouth call design.   :icon_thumright:

Jfowler82

compton30

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 26, 2024, 09:08:14 AM

Let me piggy back on Jim's post here(guy's is putting on a clinic).

When I put a mouth call in I want two things right away: A clean and effortless front end note. What you'll find is that they'll all cluck and the variations off of that, assuming it's a well made call. For a call to be right for me, I don't wanna fight with it to get the yelping right. A kee base is necessary for good yelping.

So I built a combo cut the other day. It wasn't right. So I took my scissors and snipped a tiny piece off the untrimmed wing opposite of the half moon that was previously removed. Bingo. Effortless, clean front end. That's what Jim is talking about. It went from the trash to in the vest from just a little adjustment.

If you already hate a call, there's no downside to augmenting it and potentially finding the turkey in it. A pair of fine sewing scissors is cheaper than buying a new call from Woodhaven(I have no problem with Woodhaven).

KRW

I have used the Primos True Double II for 25? Yrs.  There may be better calls out there but Primos uses a 'rough' skirt on these and they are little bigger than most other diaghram calls. And maybe I have a bigger mouth than some people but the larger skirt made out of rougher material just stays in place a whole lot better. Why do most call makers use that slick smooth skirt material??