OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting With 16 ga

Started by Greg Massey, January 21, 2024, 09:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Who all turkey hunts with 16 ga.? What gun and load are you using?

runngun

Hey Greg, I have a 16 gauge Remington 870 WINGMASTER that I am going to kill a turkey with this year. It's in mint condition.....right now but oh well. I have all of the stuff o roll my own in everything except 10 gauge. I will be testing soon and I will be sure to let you know what I see.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

rem 300

I have a Remington 870 Express youth model 16 gauge I am going to hunt some this spring.

PalmettoRon

Killed 2 gobblers last Spring with my Ithaca 37 loaded with Foxtrot TSS #9 1 7/8 oz loads and Sumtoy choke just because the 16 was the only gauge I hadn't killed a gobbler with.

Don't really see the rationale for using a 12 or 16 anymore if shooting TSS, but it was cool using that old gun.

Tom007

Hey Greg. I hunt with a 16. It's a new Sweet 16 A5 with a 26 inch barrel. I had a Brieley .600 Turkey Choke made for it. Patterns Apex and Foxtrot TSS fantastic. It weighs under 6 pounds, is a great sub-gauge alternative.

Here is some pattering with TSS Foxtrot #9's
"Solo hunter"

skimerhorn

That is a sweet setup. I need one of them

Old Swamper

In the process of getting an old savage 720 "humpback" full chocked 16ga my Uncle left me in his will. He killed a truckload of turkeys with it. Although I mainly tote an old 12ga 870, I will move this into rotation, especially in the Fall.

jordanz7935

I've been dragging an 870 express youth 16 ga through the brush for the last 5 seasons. Using apex and foxtrot tss loads, it's killed a dozen or so longbeards that i can think of....  love that gun. Will be handed down to my son in another 10 years or so. Imo, you need to shoot 1&3/4- 2 oz payloads of tss to make it worth carrying a 16 ga over a 20 ga turkey gun... also the 870 express youth 16 ga is same frame as 12 ga, so it's a pretty heavy compared to other 16 gauges. Basically it feels the same if not a little heavier than an 870 12 ga.... my 870 20 ga is noticeably lighter, and they basically pattern the same with 1 &5/8 oz loads of tss. The 16 ga doesn't shine on the pattern board until you get into heavier payloads. But I get why apex loads 1&5/8 oz, as seen in the replies on this post a lot of guys are using older 16 ga guns. The heavier payloads are stout in the recoil department for sure.

FloppinTom

Remington 870 16ga Express with 23" barrel with a 1-9/16oz load of TSS9x9.5s These 16s will flat out hammer em.
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Swampfoxforeman

I hunt with a Browning BPS 16. I run a Sumtoy choke and hand loaded #9TSS

Jstocks

Quote from: rem 300 on January 25, 2024, 10:22:48 PM
I have a Remington 870 Express youth model 16 gauge I am going to hunt some this spring.

This is what I hunt.

runngun

I just rolled up 20 shells. If the weather is good tomorrow I will be doing some testing. I loaded 1 3/4 ounces of 9s. I sure have my hopes up.

runngun

I shot my Remington Model 870 WINGMASTER 16 gauge.
TSS 1 3/4 9s at 40 yards. The barrel is fixed choke Improved Cylinder.
I got a very even pattern, all of the pattern was inside the 20 inch circle.  Very impressive.

Candyman

The first 4 turkeys I killed I was using my dad's Double barrel 16ga. Not sure of the brand. I used lead 4's in both barrels. Dad hasn't shot that gun in over 35 years. I'll bring it out again at some point but not sure when. 

crow

Quote from: runngun on February 20, 2024, 11:37:22 AM
I shot my Remington Model 870 WINGMASTER 16 gauge.
TSS 1 3/4 9s at 40 yards. The barrel is fixed choke Improved Cylinder.
I got a very even pattern, all of the pattern was inside the 20 inch circle.  Very impressive.

curious what your 10" numbers are at 40yds with the imp. cyl