turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jake Yelps on a trumpet ........

Started by Greg Massey, January 19, 2024, 02:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

For those of you who can make Jake yelps on a trumpet, are you making deeper yelps with a longer air draw or what ... I'm interested in how you go about making these sounds on a trumpet.

Terry

I do deeper with more of a hollow sound and a thump at the back end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger

Turkeydoghunter had a great video once yelping on a Cox trumpet, he emphasized slowing the cadence way down and going for that hollow sound already mentioned.  Hunters that work birds in the Fall seem to have very good ears for Jake yelps and have great tone in their calling, just an observation. 
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

boatpaddle

Slow draw on a Austy Bott adjustable trumpet set on the 5th-6th ring .

Cup your hands to make a bigger circle with a small opening between 2 fingers...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

EZ

You can do it on any call...just slow down, soften your lips and make a more hollow sound chamber with your hands.
"Think" what you want to sound like and your mouth and hands will make it happen.

Some calls are better/easier. Austy's adjustable is made to order. I carry a gobbler wingbone made a little longer when I want to really get "yauky".

MossyOak92

Loosen the lips slower draw and a buckner adjustable are the keys for me. Cup the hands for the deeper yalt also.

tal

Tomtom97

Great info guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Swamper

"Bouncing" the sound off your chest is good way to get realism.